PDA

View Full Version : well water

4GreenThumbs
05-26-2008, 11:44 AM
As newbies to hydrophonics, we are having issues with our well water. Have a print out of water sample, however, solving the water content is daunting.
We live at 4,900' high Sierra's in CA also head waters of the Feather River. Plants are not happy! Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

jammie
05-28-2008, 08:36 PM
what kind of issues. ya need to be a little more specific. if you have hard water there are nutrients that are specifically made for that. another option would be a reverse osmosis system to filter water.

4GreenThumbs
05-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the reply, we have done the hard water tests.....on to reverse osmosis, Our water sample test is what we are working from. High alkaline levels along with other high minerals. We were hoping to correct this some other way, however the reverse osmosis seems to be the best solution, outside of drilling another well and going down 300'+. Presently our well is at 160', ground water can be surface or around 3' during winter, not much lower in summer. Considered high desert. One reason for doing hydroponics, way too many flucuations in temps and soil composition without extensive soil admendments.
Hoped you all had come across another way to change the water content. :)

4GreenThumbs
06-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Having water issues....still~
What is the best way to solve for sodium..220ppm and sulfate 180ppm and chlorides at 210ppm? We are on a well, and the water test show alkalinity of 96ppm, bi-carbonates 117ppm. Nitrates 0.0 Calcium 28ppm, Magnesium 4ppm
finally, ph 8.31.

Any thoughts? Thanks much.

TechnologyGarden
06-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Ouch, that water of yours doesnt seem very friendly to humans or plants!
I hope you are not drinking it or even boiling spaghetti in it - seems way alkaline and wondering what the TDS or initial PPM value would register.

In the least you'd probably want to use PH down and get the PH in a useable range depending on what you are growing but I'd say an RO/DI system would work - stock up on filters, but keep in mind this wont do anything to the PH most likely

I have well water of 6.2 and overall Its not drinkable either, but my plants are loving it! (Not within EPA standards - too acidic) Check out my website for more detail on some of my systems and how I grow.

http://www.TechnologyGarden.net
a DIY guide to Aeroponic and Hydroponic growing