PDA

View Full Version : 600w growlight problems

Unregistered
06-09-2008, 06:09 AM
i have recently set up a 600w sodium light in a space around 2ft by 6ft. i have a large fan and ample ventilation but the light is getting so hot its frying my plants. the guides ive read have told me to keep the light about 2" above the plants but this light is 4ft above the plants, it has melted my propigator and killed my plants. once watered the soil in the pots goes dry in about 10minutes. could someone please tell me what sort of light may be better for this space or the best way to use this light so that it wont kill everything and set my house on fire. thankyou for your help on this matter.

Unregistered
07-10-2008, 06:34 PM
At 12 sqft, a 600 is just the right size. Whoever said lamp distance to canopy is 2 inches is lying or the victim of a typo. Check this chart and you'll see the acceptable range. I'd try for 12-20 inches. Aircooling the hood would help also.

Because lamps throw light perpendicular to the shaft, place the lamp perpendicular to the long side of the grow. Can you go 3x4? This has the same square footage as your 2x6 and would prevent plants on the far edges of the garden being light deprived.

ErnestTBass
07-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Just read your post..I will be putting a 600W HPS in a Yield Master 2 in an area 4' X 4' soon....haven't rcvd my bulb yet. My fixture has 6" fittings at each end which I will be pulling air through it at 449 cfm. It also has a air sealed hi-temp glass lens. I am hoping my set up will work well...at least I did the math right. Do you have any forced air cooling through your fixture? Also does your fixture contain an internel ballast or an external?

ErnestTBass
08-05-2008, 12:50 AM
My 600W HPS does produce quite a bit of heat without forced air. After installing an inline vortex fan @449 cfm and splitting it between two separate growing areas I end up with about 200cfm through the fixture. Fresh air is available via a 6" duct from outside. The temperature at 18" below the glass lense stays at ~85 degrees. I desire to decrease that temperature some so I am adding a standard inline duct fan @300cfm to the intake side of the HPS fixture. That should force additional cooling air through the fixture while simultaneously increasing fresh air flow into the growing area....more air, less heat. My trade-off is an increase in relative humidity which can be handled by other means if need be. Heat is far more critical to successful indoor growing than humidity. In the case of the original poster you may be experiencing two problems...one being caused by the other. The extreme heat has caused the humidity to drop to an unhealthy level so the plants will burn up quite fast. Control the heat then attack any resulting problems as a different issue...such as humidity. OK that's my two cents.

Malkore
08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I read 2" for T5 bulbs...2 FEET or so for MH bulbs as the distance from your canopt to the light bulb.