PDA

View Full Version : Ebb and Flow timing help

lagreca
06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
I recently setup my first hydroponics system using a 4" diameter PVC pipe as an ebb and flow system. I just commissioned it last night. Its running at about 50% capacity (12 spots total, 6 in use). 3" net pots with clay beads and rockwool as the medium.

Right now I have the flood taking place on the hour, for 15 minutes between 7am and 7pm. Actually, its probably only really hitting the roots for 7-8 minutes, as the pump takes a while to flood the pipe.

I'm worried this may be too often and will damage the roots. However I'm also worried if I do less than this, the heat and sun will dry out my week old lettuce seedlings. The weather here is predicted to be 90 degrees and sunny all week long.

Can anyone make suggestions on ebb and flow timing for my situation?

rtslush
07-17-2008, 06:18 PM
cut your time back to one feeding every two hours and do it for one half hour each instead of 15 min. I live in vegas and grow outdoors. trust me on this one. just maintain your nutrient solution and watch your pH. dont adjust for down unless you are changing out the water because pH drift is natural.