PDA

View Full Version : Small Scale Hydro

19elephants
06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Hello,
i'm completely new to hydroponic farming
what i would really like to do is grow individual plants in maybe bottles, just for aesthetic purposes, not large scale.
how might i go about doing this??
i think they might make great presents
anyone with experience in this or who might be able to give me advice on how to get started, please let me know!!
thanks

kezan98
08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I've been experimenting with perlite, it retains enought water and nutrients to feed the plants, but excess water stays at the bottom and the perlite floats on top, so the roots shouldn't get waterlogged.

So far so good, I like the idea, it might be a good idea to dril a small hole towards the bottom of the bottom so if the bottle is watered to much it will drain out.

It's a pretty basic method, Perlite is cheap so it's won't cost to much to experiment.

liez4love
08-22-2008, 07:06 PM
I know you are talking about using small bottles. But it wouldn't be much more expensive to build your own bucket ebb and flow. and you can make it as small as you can find the buckets.

x2 small buckets at wal-mart, $2-3
x1 small air pump for aquariums $5
Some pvc piping and some kind of dispenser at the top
Also some kind of lighting fixture, florescents work fine.
Youtube is a great resource for DIY hydro setups.

One of my friends had a small glass cup that he put perlite in and small rocks, it was growing fine for the most part. But the water became bad,(algae, etc).

msalter521
12-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I have started to grow 2 cucumber seeds in a hydro system made from a pork skin container wrapped in brown paper (so no light can get in and cause mold), air stone, air pump, hose, rock wool, 3' net pot, gravel, and 4' fluorescent light using 6500K color temp rating bulbs. I'm growing in a 4 x 4 closet and they are now getting 18 hours of light and 6 of darkness... I started off with 24 hours of light for about a week. If anyone has any info they can provided it will be greatly appreciated, this is my first hydro grow :D

Will post pic later..