PDA

View Full Version : Changing nutrients

scarville
07-23-2008, 09:09 PM
How often do I need to change nutrients? How can I tell? Obviously atomic absorption is out but is there some practical mean of telling? Or should I just change every N weeks?

This is my first year trying hydroponis and my setup is pretty basic. I have tomatoes, cantaloupes, and watermelon in five gallon buckets. Brussel sprouts on a raft and I have a "dribbler" I use to propogate cutting and transition seedlings.

I plan a to build a second dribbler for spinach and lettuce

Malkore
07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm a newbie myself. But from what I read you have 2 options.
1. change the nutrient solution every 2 weeks. pour the old solution out on garden plants. its not 'bad', just no longer 'great' for hydroponics.

2. get a meter that reads ppm, or EC. the conductivity of the solution tells you how strong it still is.

guysela31
08-10-2008, 09:57 AM
You can find some information in the article : Nutrient management in hydroponics (http://www.smart-fertilizer.com/index2.php?id=89)

Guy
www.smart-fertilizer.com

scarville
08-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Thank you guysela31. The referenced article reminded me of somethings I learned back n College P-Chem about total dissolved salts and pH. I should be able to generate some tables with normalized ranges I can use to estimate when to change.