PDA

View Full Version : T5 - or HID?

Malkore
07-29-2008, 07:25 AM
this is going in my basement, so heat and appearance don't matter.

I want a 4'x4' garden max, more like 3'x3' with spillover.

so, a 400w MH (one of those $200 or less models), or a couple T5 fixture, with four 4' bulbs.

plan is to grow peppers in an aerospring setup. maybe some cooking herbs or strawberries in a second tub.

MH is way cheaper, but uses more power.
T5 gives you bulb spectrum flexibility...so flowering the peppers shouldn't be a problem...but its 4 bulbs per fixture to replace vs. 1 MH bulb. I suppose I find a bulk vendor and buy a case at wholesale cost??

Thanks for your comments. The more the better.

willard3
07-31-2008, 06:45 AM
Metal halide has higher lumens/watt than T5 and uses less electric for the same amount of light, ie, costs less to operate.

Malkore
07-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for confirming what I thought. I did end up ordering a Sun Systems 2 400w MH yesterday, and an inexpensive MH bulb. it'll only be for vegetative growth.

any recommendations on a daylight MH bulb to flower and fruit my pepper plants that doesn't cost $125 like the Hortilux-Blue Daylight they wanted to sell me?

Do you think I could just get one or two four foot T5's in a 3000k temperature and use it for supplemental red for flower/fruiting stage??

willard3
08-05-2008, 10:54 AM
If you buy one MH and one HPS for growing, you have mimicked daylight pretty closely. Equal wattage for MH and HPS.