PDA

View Full Version : Question about water evaporation

gobby
09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Example:

I have a 5 gallon bucket. I mark it on a 3 gallon mark.I mix in the right amount of nutrients. I come back 3 days later and the water level has dropped to 2 gallons

Questions

1. When the water level drops I assume the concentration of nutrients increases?

2. Do I top off?

3. If so do I just top off with PH adjusted water? or do I have to mix in more nutrients?

Malkore
09-19-2008, 04:47 PM
it could be evaporation...it could be the plants are drinking that much water!

i have two pepper plants in an aerogarden and they'll suck up a half gallon in 2-3 days, no evaporation.
so...

1. it could. depends on whether the plants happen to be using up the nutrients at the same pace of water loss/evaporation, or not.

in order to answer 2 and 3 you have to know the answer to 1. most people use a ppm/ec meter to see if their nutrient solution is getting weak.

gobby
09-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks.. I haven't encountered anything just yet. The question just keeps coming to mind.

liez4love
09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
A costly solution to the ppm meter, might be, just replace the water entirely with new nutrients as you see it diminish. Costly in the fact you would be trading out water 2 or 3 times a week. But, nothing more then a mere option.

willard3
09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Get both an EC and a Ph meter. Water/nutrient control is critical to success with hydro.

EC and Ph meters can be found at worms way

http://www.wormsway.com/