PDA

View Full Version : Questions with purchase of a Carbon Filter

gobby
10-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Well I ordered a HydroFarm Active Air 180 CFM Fan. Then after looking on the site I located a good Carbon filter. I called up and began to ask questions. As soon as I said I ordered there Active Air 180 CFM fan and plan on using it with a carbon filter they said squirrel cage fans don't work good with filters??? From the reading I have done I thought they are supposed to do a good job. Please explain.

What filter that you have would work well with this unit?

Unregistered
10-03-2008, 10:19 AM
they do a decent job if you have it paired to the right filter... as with any other fan. the reason they aren't usually used on carbon is that they loose roughly 1/3 of their CFM rating when the air flow is restricted. if youre also using that fan to exclusively exhaust the room, the loss of CFM will usually not be sufficient in providing a good exchange of air.

so... if youre running at 150cfm, i would be using the can-filter 2600, can-filter 9000

Thrifty222
04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
I found a nice breakdown of the cfm a fan will produce through various stages of resistance.. heres the link.

http://www.canfilters.com/fan_metal_home.html

hope this helps.

HydroACR
04-03-2009, 08:10 PM
good info, thanks Thrifty....

John M.
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
We use this chart and the rest of the Can site in store all the time to help customers understand choices.

Great link.