PDA

View Full Version : hygrozyme vs. beneficial bacteria

Unregistered
06-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Can these 2 be used together? It seems that the enzymes would kill the beneficial bacteria. Is B. bacteria good in soil but not in hydro? Thanks

bonneau pepper farm
06-21-2006, 07:21 PM
You are right...soil has it's own bacteria.

In hydroponics we want to insure our rootzone has the proper minerals, and a oxygenated root zone to allow for good air and water movement. Hygrozyme, an organic enzymatic product or
Sensizyme from Advanced Nutrients will encourage healthy rhizospheric microbes.
Hygrozyme has the philosophy that if you are growing in a sterile environment, then why add bacteria.

Hygrozyme prevents the formation of pythium and algae, speeds up degradation of dead organic matters and facilitates the uptake of chemical nutrients. It will not harm beneficial microbes. I had to dig around to find this little tidbit of info for you. by the way, I use hygrozyme, especially like the fact that it is organic. and have used sensizyme.

you just want a healthy root system.

I hope this helps. I am sure Dave or Dave or Mike or one of the guys AT BGhydro will add to this, most likely. peace

dhill
06-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Anon, Roger

Enzyme products target dead or decaying plant matter thus aiding in the control of root rot pathogens. Quality enzyme products will not harm beneficial bacteria.

Hygrozyme is known for suppressing algae growth and pythium (by dissolving dead roots), however, Cannazyme is more potent at dissolving dead roots than any other product that I have tested. Cannazyme will even dissolve paper yet gentle/stimulating on the root system. I noticed this when I added Cannazyme to an Ez-clone machine where the developing root system had serve root rot problems. I added Cannazyme to the machine at a rate of 20ml per gallon and within two days the roots were clean and pearly white. New root growth/development was enhanced and the canopy began to thrive.

Do your own enzyme test.

This test will show you how well your enzyme product will be able to dissolve dead roots.

Test 1:

Materials Required
1) Use clean plastic or glass cups (glass will be better, just make sure that there is no soap residue in the cup)
2)Use a plastic or stainless steel spoon (a baking measuring spoon is best)
3) One jar of pure apple sauce with no PRESERVATIVES or any other impurities!!
4) Unused coffee filters, one per cup.

The Test
1) Place one spoon (5ml) of apple sauce in each cup (equal amounts)
2) Clean spoon with clean water
3) Place one spoon (5ml) of enzyme product into each cup. If you are testing a few enzyme products then use one only brand per cup. If you are testing only one product then place one spoon (5ml) in one cup and one spoon (5ml) of water into the other cup.
4) Stir each cup, clean spoon between each cup.
5) Allow this to stand at room temperature for two hours.
6) Place coffee filter in clean cup and pour each test into a separate cup. Do not reuse coffee filters between cups.
7) Leave the coffee filter in cup with dissolved apple sauce for one to two more hours.
8) Measure dissolved liquid in the bottom of the cup.

My results - One spoon of Cannazyme (5ml) plus one heaped spoon of apple sauce (10ml) gave 12.5-15ml of dissolved fluids

Test 2:

Materials Required
1) Use clean plastic or glass cups (glass will be better, just make sure that there is no soap residue in the cup)
2)Use a plastic or stainless steel spoon (a baking measuring spoon is best)
3) Writing paper (1/2" x 1/4") multiple pieces may be needed if you plan to do a few tests
4) Unused coffee filters, one per cup.

The Test
1) Place one piece of papers in each cup
2) Place one spoon (5ml) of enzyme product into each cup. If you are testing a few enzyme products then use one only brand per cup. If you are testing only one product then place one spoon (5ml) in one cup and one spoon (5ml) of water into the other cup.
4) Stir each cup, clean spoon between each cup.
5) Allow this to stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
6) Paper should dissolve completely after 24 hours.

My results - Paper disappeared!!

rapt44
02-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I am having some trouble. I recently added hygrozyme with some advanced tarantula and pirahna. My PH kept rising!!! Could one of them not be ok with my organic floralicious, nectarsweet, or tea compost?

Unregistered
12-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Maybe you bacteria levels are rising, try adding a bit of citric acid or ph down.

organic guy
02-09-2010, 11:41 PM
yes - i pride myself on my compost tea......

so - rising PH is a good thing...... it means the bacteria are multiplying -- they "somehow" (i don't know how.....) raise the PH as they go -

bacteria like alkaline conditions..... they do REALLY BAD in low PH (acid conditions) around PH 5-6.......real compost tea experts don't even adjust the PH ... it kills the bacteria !!

You want the good bacteria........ they need close to neutral - ph 7or HIGHER to really thrive.

So - what i do is water with UNadjusted compost tea somedays - and water with adjusted fertilizer (ph 6.3 -6.7 depending...) on other days...... in a drain to waste system....in dirt.

oh the luxury of drain to waste.

I really think everyone should look into FUNGAL TEA..... that is where the real love is friends.

check out the book - "Teaming with microbes"

and remember - without oxygen -- all your compost tea turns anerobic.....stinky and BAD

it is hard to get ENOUGH oxygen - I use several air stones and two air pumps.
this is KEY !!!!

and
DON'T STORE COMPOST TEA WITHOUT OXYGEN. this is just stupid. use it IMMEDIATELY

thanks for the news on Hygrozyme being OK to mix with compost tea... I will try it tonight.

oxygen.