PDA

View Full Version : Reflectix vs. Mylar

boone
10-29-2008, 10:31 AM
I need to insulate the walls of my attic grow room so I covered the studs with reflectix. I had planned on covering the reflectix with mylar. Should I bother?

Malkore
10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Unless the shape/design of your setup allows the walls to actually reflect the light....its probably not worth the effort or money.

good reflectors for a lamp fixture are always polished specular aluminum, with a shape that limits restrike.

if the walls are 6 feet away from the lamp, you'll not have enough lumens reflected back to be worth saving. the light will just spread and lose too much intensity.

if its a tight space...then yeah, mylar will reflect better than foil insulation (which will scatter as it reflects...killing intensity again)...and that might help the plants a bit.

Henry S
10-31-2008, 10:56 AM
^ +1

reflectix is about 80% reflective. if you want to increase reflectivity over the insulation, i would mylar over the area between the reflector and bottom of the plants to reclaim any light thrown to the sides from the hood.

boone
10-31-2008, 01:27 PM
I have enough mylar to cover the bottom four feet of the room which is 16'X24'. Thanks for the input.