PDA

View Full Version : Natural Light?

AnnieC
01-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I have a question about lighting. I was thinking of doing a DIY Rubbermaid ebb and flow system. I was thinking of doing some tomatoes, bell peppers, and hot peppers, and if those do well I will probably add more in the future. In my kitchen I have a glass door that faces a south-easterly direction, so it gets the morning sun through around noon or so. I was thinking of putting my system in front of this window, but I'm wondering if this is going to provide enough light for the plants to grow. I have several other plants in the kitchen which do well, but those are basic potted plants.

Do you all think that I will have enough natural light or should I invest in a light source? If so what are your recommendations? I am also confused about what I've read in terms of different light requirements for different stages of plant growth. Is there an all-in-one light that you can use for all stages? Thanks in advance!

Annie:confused:

Amigatec
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I would invest in a 400 HPS light with a Phillips Mastercolor CMH bulb it is the best bulb out there. It is a Ceramic Metal Halide replacement bulb designed to run in a HPS fixture.

AnnieC
01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks. Will I need to switch the bulb for each growing cycle?

Amigatec
01-04-2009, 07:26 PM
No this bulb produces enough blue and red light.

Phillips CMH Bulb (http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmed18.htm)

http://advancedtechlighting.com/img/cdmspd.jpg

The CMH on the left and HPS on the right.

AnnieC
01-05-2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks...that is very helpful. I was hoping there was a way for me to have just one light!

Amigatec
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I got my bulb today.

AnnieC
01-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Let us know how it goes! I am excited to hear about your results. What are you growing?

Amigatec
01-09-2009, 07:59 PM
It seems the plants are doing much better, in just the 3 or 4 days since I installed it, the plants have really grown.

I jsut got my E&F parts in today and got the tray built, I will be adding the Hydrotron in th morning and adding the plants.