PDA

View Full Version : Morphed leaves due to Lighting?

hexar
07-14-2006, 01:43 AM
I am in a temporary situation and wanted to start growing anyway to get a little head start for one thing. I get great window light so I have my plants by the window during the day and then I put them in the closet close to 2 large fluorescent tubes. I'm noticing morphed leaves on all of my plants now. They have a weird shortened lobe with an edge that looks like something bit it! There are also 3 lobes rather than 5.

I have mistepped a couple times a little bit with nutrients but have been pretty on target I would say.
My suspicion is that this problem is due to lighting and my plants feel wacked out. Maybe I am also turning them too much and too randomly? Are the plants likely to do fine once I move them to a more steady environment in 5 weeks? Thank you much;)

TheHOG
09-25-2006, 09:12 AM
You could have a mutant gene causing this. Blueberries do this frequently.

I have never had mutant looking leaves from light issues, only hermies. PH will cause some strange formations though.

If you are going to be using a HID setup later I would say your best bet is just to wait till then to get going. Light stress causes problems, as does a weak light source.

katythedog
01-11-2007, 10:54 AM
i had some deformed leaves exactly like you describe on my plants too. My problem - I think - is that my nutes were too high and/or my PH was off. I had this happen to two of my plants, one outgrew this problem once the PH was fixed and the nutrients were lowered. The other plant took a little longer but seems to be doing better now as I've been keeping a good eye on it. If you aren't using nutrients yet, it may be the PH that's off and is locking out something the plant needs to form properly.

Unregistered
02-11-2007, 04:14 PM
are you a cigarette smoker? could be tobacco mosaic virus possibly... this causes deformation of leaves... but stress in general can as well... i had a friend who gave me a plant that was nearly killed by spider mites and as i was nursing it back to health, first the leaves would grow without serration at the edges, and some strange shapes.... but after a few weeks, healthy leaves came out

Steve F
02-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I had some weird looking leaves during a nutrient overdose that were deformed exactly like what Katythedog is saying. Along with this were yellowing edges and brown dry leaf tips, then the leaf would hang down some and finally shrivel and die with actual greyish burns appearing. Do you have any of these other symptoms? I do some weird experiments with LED lights and have really messed with stretching and condensing internodal lengths and such, but as far as I know haven't caused any kind of real mutation due to lights. http://www.greenpinelane.com