PDA

View Full Version : Reccommend Complete System

mbodamer
07-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi,
I have never done anything in hydroponics. I am on a fact finding mission. I live in the Bahamas where we have near perfect growing conditions year round however the soil is nearly nonexistant and when there is soil it is very poor. I saw a discovery special on a hydro farm that was growing lettuce. Of course it was on large scale but it ammazed me how they had these large concrete pools with styrofoam trays with a hole in the bottom with the lettuce growing through it. as the lettuce grew they rotated it to larger foam trays. In a few short weeks perfect lettuce.

I am a small business person with some captial to invest. I would like to hear about the feasability of designing, creating and economically sustaining a hydro farm in the Bahamas.

The government here encourages farming and if I can pitch them a sustainable business model then I could obtain a large tract of land from the Government to use for the farm. I am looking for the follwoing information:

List of growable vegatables
Reccommendation for configuration for commercial farm
Estimated capital required to start (with smallest risk)

This could be a great business and would in turn allow us to export the product in time as the farm grew.

Sorry for the newbie questions however I would really like to get this started. Would you reccommend starting on a very small scale like a home DIY kit or dive right in?

Thanks

bonneau pepper farm
08-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I am doing the same thing in SC, sort of.

I would advise that you come up with an amount you can invest, and then target system/greenhouse size and such.

you can spend $185,000 on a 1500 site tomatoe hydro farm...so it is more what do you see expending then you can design systems and greenhouses.

Lettuce is a great start, and very marketable. you would want to use an NFT system for lettuce and drip to waste for all your fruiting vegetables(tomatoes, peppers, cukes...using beige hydro buckets)...

hope this gives you a little insite. I look forward to your reply...peace BPF

Unregistered
01-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I'll be watching this string closely. I'm interested in setting up a system that'll supply a family of 4 with enough veggies & herbs that I won't have to buy the junk at the stores.

Unregistered
02-14-2007, 09:24 AM
As for the business, find buyers first. Design a system that will work with what you can sell.

From what I have heard, the growing isn't the hard part, selling sometimes is.

Green1
03-17-2007, 10:46 AM
You have to do test grows. Pick 6-12 varieties from a good seed breeder.
The idea is to buy good genetics...like from Johnnysseeds.com, or seeds of change, or horizonherbs.com.

That will allow you better success and yield. After you get some small crops in. try a "veggie" stand in the yard, or take your produce to the farmers market, maybe even local restaurants. Regardless of yield; This will allow for you to test the market. No one is going to order vegetables from you; Unless you can put them in their hand for a taste test. goodluck. Peace G1