PDA

View Full Version : bulb style and grolux question

walkndude
07-21-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm currently running a sun systems 800w super spectrum ballast and hood setup and in the past I've stuck with hortilux bulbs on the hps side. These are ed-18 style lamps. Well, it's time to switch out the bulbs and I would very much like to move to a sylvania grolux hps, but these are t-17 bulbs... is this going to present a problem with my setup? I ask because for some reason the ballast tags say to use only ed style lamps, which doesnt make much sense to me, as I thought ED, ET, and T only represent the shape of the bulb. The ballast is ansi s51 using 5000k pulse rated mogul bases so what difference should bulb shape make? Any feedback before I order these bulbs from you would be much appreciated.

btw- noticed your bulletin on the 400w grolux problems from 2005 and was wondering if, in your experience, these problems were only with digital ballasts? It's pretty well known by now grolux and solarmax don't play well with digi ballasts.

tia

David G.
07-25-2006, 05:30 PM
The Grolux bulb will work fine with both your reflector and your ballast. It is a slightly different shaped bulb, but it will fit just fine.

The problems with the 400W version of the Grolux were happening on both magnetic and electronic ballasts (I believe). But, I just checked out returns on this bulb for 2006 and we have only had 1 bulb returned this year, so maybe they fixed the problem. There is still a compatibility issue with both Grolux bulbs and the Lumatek digital ballast, but I'll let you in on a little secret we recently discovered: If you simply let the ballast run a full 12 hours or more the first time you fire it up, you shouldn't have any problems igniting the bulb after that. In other words, don't take a new Grolux bulb, plug it in, and then unplug it during the first 12 hours. During this period the ballast learns what the bulb wants, and it only needs to do this the first time it is used.

Solarmax bulbs, however, are not compatible.

walkndude
07-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Many thanks for clearing that up David, I look forward to doing business with bg.

hexar
08-12-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm confused... So you can use a Grolux bulb with the digi provided you run this set-up for 12 hrs at the outset? Will it ignite right away the first time? It also has this 'slow start' technology which seems to be the problem- so if not right away, how long does it take to start up the first time? Thanks.

David G.
08-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Yes, because the ballast actually learns what the bulb needs over the first several hours and adjusts the output accordingly. If this process is interrupted then the bulb won't fire the next time it is turned on. The bulb will ignite right away the first time and reach full intensity in less than 2 minutes.

K4h2
09-29-2006, 03:05 PM
OK so speaking of electronic ballasts I am getting a 600w Lumatek, I am currently using a 400w system. I want to know if I need to get a new socket or not? I intend to keep using my existing hood as well, is this a concern?

David G.
09-29-2006, 05:24 PM
As long as the socket is a 5KV or 6KV you won't need to change the socket. If you can't find the number printed somewhere on the socket, let us know what brand the socket assembly is and approximately how old it is and I should be able to tell you.

Seren
09-23-2008, 10:33 PM
I have a question about the 400W Grolux bulb. Is it normal for it to make *noise* while it's lit? I listen to it sorta rattle, and it makes a noise like glass jiggling. It doesn't sound normal, and yes, I do have a Lumatek ballast. In fact, I just received a replacement. The first one lasted all of 9 mos with this bulb.

David G.
09-28-2008, 01:23 PM
It's common for small shards of glass to break off during the manufacturing process; this is completely normal. When the lamp ignites these shards will jump around and make a little bit of noise. As long as the lamp wattage and ballast wattage are the same, everything should be fine. If the lamp is MUCH louder than normal, then there may be a problem with either the lamp or the ballast.