PDA

View Full Version : HPS lights with blue spectrum? MH?

BABobbyJ
07-26-2006, 02:09 AM
This is getting kinda confusing.. Today I'm using a 400w Son-T Agro for both growing and flowering of plants. But I need to drop down to 250w because of size and heat. I remember the son-t agro said it had extra blue spectrum, but what about other bulbs? Been looking at a few 250w bulbs, but neither says anything about any blue spectrum.

I'm thinking about using a MH bulb for growing and HPS for flowering, is that the best setup no matter what "extra" spectrum the bulbs produce? Or should I have both bulbs on at the same time, all the time? Dont plants need any red light when growing, or do they grow even faster if they get both red and blue? TIA

I was looking at the PowerPlant Super HPS btw, maybe you guys know what spectrum it has?

Basicly what I'm asking: Will a regular MH for growing and a regular HPS for flowering be more effective than only using the Son-T agro bulb with added blue?

[please refer to the forum rules: links removed by moderator]

I was thinking about theese two bulbs, anybody have any experince with them or know if they are good enough. They should work with the same ballast.

dhill
07-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Bobby,

Read this thread, the posts here will explain using both HPS and MH bulbs.

Do I need both MH and HPS bulbs? (http://forums.bghydro.com/showthread.php?t=10)

The standard HPS and MH bulbs will work for growing plants. To get optimum results you will need to upgrade to a better quality plant bulb. Plant or Horticultural bulbs have better PAR ratings than standard (street lighting) type bulbs. These Hort bulbs will have more red (HPS) and more blue (MH) light than the standard type bulbs. Standard HPS bulb will have more yellow-green light and standard MH bulbs will have more blue-green light. Choosing a bulb with more blue or red light will always give you better results. Plants use light to photosynthesize, so it is wise to supply your plants with the spectrum of light that they use more of (plants use more blue and red light and almost no green light).

The bulbs that are more suitable for plants are...

Hortilux
Enhanced Bulb
Gavita
Sunmaster/Cool Delux
Solar Max
Grolux
AgroSun
Son-T

Unregistered
02-07-2007, 12:33 AM
The bulbs that are more suitable for plants are...

Hortilux
Enhanced Bulb
Gavita
Sunmaster/Cool Delux
Solar Max
Grolux
AgroSun
Son-T

Of the bulbs listed on your site and above, one question I'm sure many want to always know is, which bulb is the best, 2nd best, and so forth. I have heard Solarmax bulbs to be the best, while others tell me that nothing beats the Hortilux bulbs. Could you list the bulbs for 400,600,1000 (if they vary) in terms of best performance? For example, is a 400 watt solarmax as good or better performing than then 400 or 430 hortilux bulbs and how it compares to the super hps bulb which is rather inexpensive. Thanks.

Unregistered
02-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Of the bulbs listed on your site and above, one question I'm sure many want to always know is, which bulb is the best, 2nd best, and so forth. I have heard Solarmax bulbs to be the best, while others tell me that nothing beats the Hortilux bulbs. Could you list the bulbs for 400,600,1000 (if they vary) in terms of best performance? For example, is a 400 watt solarmax as good or better performing than then 400 or 430 hortilux bulbs and how it compares to the super hps bulb which is rather inexpensive. Thanks.

Good question. I too have had trouble deciding which bulbs to purchase. I've bookmarked this thread in hopes of a good list/answer.

Unregistered
03-31-2007, 12:23 AM
yay for no reply ... :(

Unregistered
07-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I don't know that a whole lot about all this yet, I've mainly helped my homie out in Hawaii build his GR and my other friend is helping me step by step from BC and I was under the impression that the MH lights help you with the blues you would need and that the HPS help you with the yellows/oranges I guess red's... But I now am hearing about these full spectrum lighting systems that just ring AeroGarden in my opinion, and I don't know if you've tried that mess... but we have even tried it indoors and then put it under the Hawaiian sun and that thing sucks!!
But my main question is I noticed you used the 250w and had heat problems in the closet grow and I'm wanting to use a 250w mh w enclosed ballast in a 3x3 sq ft area and a 400w hps w enclosed ballast for flower/bloom. With 6ft in height and two fans do you think I'll have heat problems, I have some friends saying use 600w~1000w and others saying I could get away with just 2 250w lights... others on other forums don't have a clue what the mh does to the plant and go the whole way...
Finally what do think about those 430w hps bulbs that come with 30% extra blue spectrum, does it replace the blue you need from mh lights, or is it a crock???

soo irie