PDA

View Full Version : Growing Material for AutoPots

infinidem
04-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi,

I am new to hydroponics and I have a question regarding AutoPots. I was reading about the benefits of rockwool and purchased several started blocks and 2 growing blocks that I can transfer the starter block to. I had a couple of seedlings that I started and when I transfered them to the Growing block and the AutoPot I became confused about the mechanics of the AutoPots and if it would actually work. I expected the water to seep up into the rockwool and bring the nutriets to the plant. However after several weeks the rockwool was still dry, even thou there is water at the bottom and the plant failed.

I guess my questions are:

Are AutoPots proven technology?
What are the recommended growing material for AutoPots?

My goal is to have a hydroponic system that uses as little electricity as possible.

kakashibatosi
04-13-2009, 12:05 PM
I went looking at the auto pot design, and it looks to me like any porous inorganic medium should work. The rockwool block used to start your process should be ok as a beginning part, but you'll want to place that block into another medium for support and further expansion of the roots.

tkrimo
04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
The Autopot does work to grow big plants. I have plans that I made for the Autopot that shows how to extend your garden using the Autopot snart valve and homemade containers etc. It works well and only cost the $20 to but the valve.

I wanted to lower the price even more and made plans where you can control a complete greenhouse with a homemade float box. No Electricity is used at all. No waste of nutrient solution except for evaporation.

Here is our plans for the autopot system for you at no charge.

http://tkrimo.com/dlg/[email protected]/autopot.zip

If you like that you can check out our homemade sub irrigation plans where you can make a float box to control many plants. Here is our site:

www.hydro-plans.com

Good luck

Warm regards,

Tip and Laura