PDA

View Full Version : A few issues with first hydroponic system

timkva
04-20-2009, 08:32 PM
My system is built inside my greenhouse.

Basically, it's 4inch pvc, 6 feet long, and there are three of them. They are hung on posts, one on top of the other w/ about a foot space between them for growing.

I've got a sort of flood and drain gig going. My water is pumped into the pipes, and they drain over time back into the reservoir. My problem is, the water only drains partially and some of my roots stay sitting in water until it is pushed along by another timed pumpflow. My question is, will it hurt them to sit in standing water?

Also, any tips on keeping my perlite from washing away or is that part of the deal?

kakashibatosi
04-21-2009, 02:58 PM
your roots sitting in water shouldn't be a big problem, but it might lead to root rot if they stay wet all the time.

On another note, what container are you using to hold your plants? I get the whole PVC thing, but are you using net buckets, or what? If no, just aim for a container of the same size but with smaller openings (smaller than your medium pieces).

timkva
04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Yes, I'm using net pots. The washing away hasn't been a big issue. I've got some rockwool I can cut to fit the pots. Is it ok to leave them growing in just rockwool filled netcups?

kakashibatosi
04-23-2009, 08:55 PM
It's not terrible, but from what i've come to understand it's not good to leave all of the roots overexposed to fluids. The rockwool tends to never dry out, so if you're going to switch to that, adjust your watering time to compensate for the increased water retention.