Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bug free living

Unregistered Guest

Default bug free living

farm supply stores sell timed misters (like in a gas station bathroom) that you can fill with premytheren cans that last 30 days.

Use them and be bug free

How safe are these to use around pets and people?

Bugs arent a bad thing, you just have to have the right kind

Ladybugs are great at killing thrips and whiteflys.

Unregistered Guest

I would like to know if the timed sprayers can be used around people and pets?

What kind of spray would I need for spider mites?

Need to know if these can be used around people and pets and what spray would I need for Spider Mites and Fungus Gnats?

Will Predator Spider Mites kill all spider mites or is it more of just a control option?

We used to carry the Time Mist dispensers several years ago but found that they were much better suited to their original use - dispensing air freshener in public bathrooms.

While they can be used around people and pets (since the active ingredient is pyrethrin), they will not erradicate a spider mite infestation. Spider mites are very difficult to control, especially if you let them go to the point of infestation (which is why you should check your plants as often as possible to get the early jump).

Spider mite predators can be effective, but they work best if you spot the problem and start making applications early, and if you use more than one application.

The best product we have come across so far is Floramite, but it is very expensive.

The main reason that the Time Mist dispensers don't work well with spider mites is that you really need to spray the insecticide directly onto the insects, not into the air. The exception to this statement would be in regards to total release foggers, but they dump a lot of product into the air all at once, not just a quick burst every 30-60 minutes.

I'll see if I can our resident spider mite expert, David Hill, to chime in and give his 2 cents.
    David G.
    BGH Forum Moderator
    www.bghydro.com

Thanks for the reply.

I also posted about foggers(PT-1100 Pyrethrum Fogger - 2 oz) in another thread in this forum. Would love some info on those aswell.

Thinking about using a fogger and then apply Pest Out once a week after.

Can Pest Out be used during flowering? If so up to harvest or stop couple weeks before harvest?
    Last edited by Ebb&Flower; 10-07-2006 at 02:45 PM.

The worlds most devastating pests are:

Spider mites
    Thrips and
    Whiteflies (there are others but these are the worst of the lot)

These pests have extremely fast breeding cycles (egg to adult in a few warm days). It is also important to note that these pests become resistant to chemicals very quickly, so the number of chemicals that are available to control these pests are becoming fewer and fewer. It is for this reason that control methods should be rotated to reduce the chance of a resistance breakout.

Fortunately for us we haven't seen a resistance to pyrethrin's yet (that day will come though).

Someone asked if natural predators work. Yes they do, as long as the environmental conditions are suitable. One other point to keep in mind is that you might be releasing 1000 spidermite predators in your garden but in actual fact you might have 10 000 - 100 000 breeding adults in your garden. How can you expect a few to control so many over a short period of time (face it we are impatient people and expect results within 24 hours).

If you need results within 24 hours then you have a few other options:

- Foggers (Pyrethrum, Attain and Pro Control)
    - Sprays (Don't Bug Me, Floramite)
    - Repellents (Pestout Concentrate, Pestout Spray)
    - Oils and others (Einstein Oil, Neem Oil, Insect Killing Soap)

Foggers

Foggers are great for controlling insane infestations of spidermites. If your spidermite infestation is overwhelming then the foggers should be your first method of control. This will knock out all the adults and nymphs, as long as they come in contact with the "fog". Foggers work best if used as a total release. The circulating and exhausting fans all need to be turned off, this is why it is best to use these foggers 30 minutes after lights out. The air needs to be still so that the fog can fill the room. The longer the fog "hangs" around in the growing area the more active time it has, thus the better control you will have. Rotate between the three types of foggers, four days in between each (foggers can be used up until two weeks before harvest). Once you have used each fogger and gained control of your garden and eliminated the spidermite population you are now ready for maintenance control/prevention.

Sprays

Don't Bug Me, is a ready to use pyrethrin spray and can be used as a maintenance control method. This spray doesn't control eggs only nymphs and adults. pyrethrins only control on contact, this is why full cover sprays need to be administered to the plants. Floramite spray is extremely powerful for controlling spidermites. It will act on adults, nymphs and the eggs. Floramite does has a residual per of about 21-28 days, thus the last spray should take place about 30 days before harvest.

Repellents

The Pestout products are repellents as well as spidermite killers. This is a great organic method for controlling spidermites (and other pests), however this product needs to be applied every 5 - 7 days. Do not use a sulfur burner if you are using this product.

Oils and others

Neem-oil has been used for centuries for controlling pests on plants and for human ailments. The active ingredient breaks the breeding cycle of pests by stopping the maturity of the pest, keeps the nymphs as nymphs. This stops the mites from becoming breeding adults. The oil also "suffocates" the eggs and stops them from hatching.
    Last edited by dhill; 10-10-2006 at 11:38 AM.
    David H.
    BGH Grow Expert
    www.bghydro.com

Do sulfur burners prevent spider mites?

Not from what I have heard. i'm sure one of the BGH folks will chime in though.

Out of the Foggers. Which would you say is the strongest? Do all of them kill Sipder Mites and Fungus Gnats? Ruff combo Would I need to leave the house while the foggers are being released?

Thanks for the info guys/gals. Much appreciated.