Thread: rockwool

Default rockwool

I like rockwool, I start seeds in 1.5 cubes and transfer to 3 or 4 inch cubes. Problem I am having is alge. I got alge growth on the top of my blocks. This going to hurt my tomatoe and spices and herbs I got going? I don't like green slime on my blocks. Any help would be great. Micro

Quote Originally Posted by Micro View Post
    I like rockwool, I start seeds in 1.5 cubes and transfer to 3 or 4 inch cubes. Problem I am having is alge. I got alge growth on the top of my blocks. This going to hurt my tomatoe and spices and herbs I got going? I don't like green slime on my blocks. Any help would be great. Micro
    As you know alge needs light to grow so if you could find a way to cut off the light at the rock wool or at least limit it then you can slow it way down

yes, I saw some rockwool covers after I posted, Thanks,

Algae can't be eliminated, but it can be controlled.

Default Rockwool covers?

I'll try to find some. I think I need them too.

Unregistered Guest

I use those little brown hydro clay rocks on top of my rockwool and it has worked really well so far. Fill your pots wirth 3/4 rockwool and then put enough clay hydro rocks to cover the top.

I actually have used rockwool and the covers but still got considerable alge growth. I have since switched to Sure to Grow cubes and my alge problem has gone away.