Thread: Living off hydroponics???

Question Living off hydroponics???

I'm new to this, and just curious about the possibilities, regardless of cost.

All questions related to hydroponics only.

1. Is it possible to grow a wide enough variety of foods hydroponically to meet all of your body's food needs?

2. If so, how much room would be required to grow enough food to sustain one average sized person?

3. Is there a list somewhere detailing all of the possible foods you can grow hydroponically?

4. Is it feasible not to use pesticides or herbicides on hydroponic foods if grown in a sealed environment?

5. Has anyone you know of or heard of lived off of only hydroponic food for a long time, or almost completely on hydroponic food? How was their health in relation to the general public?

6. What would be the price range for such an endeavor, to live off of purely hydroponic output?

7. What are the best books on learning about hydroponics in your experience?

Thank you so much for your answers!

Unregistered Guest

Default im going to try it

it would take major comitment but it is a life goal of mine. i will modify my house and my life around it.

I'm quite late it seems. I'm a new hydroponic user myself and still learning. It's my understanding once you have the basics covered (as I'm sure you do now a year later) Then you are only limited by your imagination really, available space and light source supply is an issue but even that can be overcomed by imagination.

It is my opinion that if it can be grown in a traditional garden it can be grown hydroponically. Question is....what veggies can you live on?

pates32 Guest

Hydroponics is a soil less technology and plant growing hydroponically are more matured,healthier and fast growing.As there is use of nutrient solution and less fertilizers,so you can get food of great taste.Hydroponic growing saves your budget if you start indoor hydroponic with vegetables like tomato,lettuce,carrot,beet root and many more.

Unregistered Guest

Default hi...

just signed up at forums.bghydro.com and wanna say hi to all the guys/gals of this board!

Unregistered Guest

Lightbulb

I guess that is non waterproof ....I know some waterproof

Quote Originally Posted by hydroponicsfan View Post
    I'm new to this, and just curious about the possibilities, regardless of cost.

All questions related to hydroponics only.

1. Is it possible to grow a wide enough variety of foods hydroponically to meet all of your body's food needs?

2. If so, how much room would be required to grow enough food to sustain one average sized person?

3. Is there a list somewhere detailing all of the possible foods you can grow hydroponically?

4. Is it feasible not to use pesticides or herbicides on hydroponic foods if grown in a sealed environment?

5. Has anyone you know of or heard of lived off of only hydroponic food for a long time, or almost completely on hydroponic food? How was their health in relation to the general public?

6. What would be the price range for such an endeavor, to live off of purely hydroponic output?

7. What are the best books on learning about hydroponics in your experience?

Thank you so much for your answers!

You would need a huge amount of cash, a lot of empy space, andif you do it indoors you would have one HELL of an electricity bill lol. You can grow anything hydro that you can grow in the soil, but the system may have to be tuned/altered for certain types of plants. No one system is good for all plant types.

I think growing everything you needed would be very expensive and extremely time consuming in all honesty.

You can hugely save on the electric bill using LED lighting. Also is ways to save on numbers of lights with light movers. Which are tracks that slowly rotate the lights around to increase the square footage they can cover.
    Space wise. Tube hydroponic systems that be layered. Many of large commercial hydroponics systems today take advantage of these and many other methods to get the most out of space and other value resources.
    Chris Higgins
    VT Horticulture
    http://www.hydro-unlimited.com/
    "Hydroponics is agriculture of the future that is here now!"

"Why buy from someone that wants your whole wallet or doesn't know how the systems they build really work and why?!?!?"

Also living off hydroponic food in small spaces is possible as that is how food is growth on the space station.
    Chris Higgins
    VT Horticulture
    http://www.hydro-unlimited.com/
    "Hydroponics is agriculture of the future that is here now!"

"Why buy from someone that wants your whole wallet or doesn't know how the systems they build really work and why?!?!?"

Thanks for threads and reply to query asked. It’s an informative and useful for me in future.