Thread: perlite + Vermiculite

Default perlite + Vermiculite

I've always grown my veggies outdoors in peagravel - but I'm getting more into growing indoors. I've been reading a lot about perlite and vermiculite.

I know I can buy perlite at the local HD, but where in the world will I find some vermiculite??? We have no hydro stores where I live.

Would a 50/50 mix of perlite/vermiculite grow some decent tomatoes?

-Mr. Hydro

This must be a really slow forum. I guess not many people post on here, or there's just not that much interest in hydroponics nationwide...

Thats wierd.. my local HD has vermiculite. So does Lowes.

It should also be noted that there is a big difference between the perlite that BGH sells and the perlite you will find at your local nursery or hardware store. The local stuff has a very small diameter; the stuff we sell has a very large diameter, which is much more desirable. The stuff you buy locally tends to have a lot of dust (check the bottom of the bag); the stuff we sell is of a higher quality and better suited as a growing medium.

The vermiculite we sell is horticultural grade (like our perlite) and tends to be higher quality than the local stuff as well.
    David G.
    BGH Forum Moderator
    www.bghydro.com