Thread: Help identify please

Thumbs up Help identify please

I got an infestation of pests in my system. They're in the roots and measure about 1-2mm. They're White and shiny and look like larvae under magnification. They've got 6 legs and two tenticles. I took some photos but they weren't very good, I'll try to upload when I get on a pc later. Any suggestions appreciated

It sounds like you have thrips. Most people get thrips in the foliage but they do spend a part of their life in the soil. I had an explosion of thrips in my hydroton. They can multipy extremely rapidly in the ideal conditions of an indoor garden. If the numbers get too high they can cause enough damage to take a plant out. Their favorite was of travelling is by jumping. You can be looking at one and suddenly it will disappear. They will also bite you. Get some yellow sticky traps up so you can catch some and identify them. Even the adults are really small. That tiny sliver you see on your sticky trap is a thrip. Your best bet at this point is to make a homemade nicotine solution and completely dunk your container in it. Make enough to fully immerse it and keep it there for a few minutes. Wear gloves you can absorb it through your skin and you will feel like you smoked a carton.