Thread: I think I GOT IT

Default I think I GOT IT

I would like to get a growlab 120 which is 3'11''x3'11''x6'7''. I want to use a 600 watt air-cooled light. I was having trouble figuering what size fan and filter I needed for this size tent. I think I got it,what I got was 50.4 cfm.Can someone tell is this right.THANK YOU for any help. I used the formula in ventalation part 1.
    Last edited by blowdro; 09-11-2010 at 09:32 PM.

79"x47"x47"=174511 in^3
    (174511 in^3)x((ft^3)/(12^3 in^3))=100.99 ft^3
    100.99 ft^3 x 1.05 (5% for air cooled light) = 106.03 ft^3
    At the recommended one air 1 air change per 3 minutes:
    106.03 ft^3 x (1 air change)/(3 minutes) = 35.35 or 36 ft^3/min (cfm)

You may have had some extra temp factor thrown in, I don't know. Apologies for the extended notation, just making sure all my units cancel out.

Here's the calc with the max non air cooled rating:
    100.99 ft^3 x 1.15 (15% for air cooled light) = 116.14 ft^3
    At the recommended one air 1 air change per 3 minutes:
    116.14 ft^3 x (1 air change)/(3 minutes) = 38.71 or 39 ft^3/min (cfm)
    Last edited by brbubba; 09-13-2010 at 09:08 AM.

thanks brbubba

Quote Originally Posted by blowdro View Post
    thanks brbubba
    No problem, just double check my numbers for yourself and possibly add any other secondary factors. Good luck!

Brbubba I tried to come up with that answer but I still dont see how you came up with that thanks anyway by the way what does ^ mean is it a divide symbol.well I divided 3 into 36 and got 12cfm am I on the right track.
    Last edited by blowdro; 09-13-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Brbubba I tried to come up with that answer but I still dont see how you came up with that thanks anyway by the way what does ^ mean is it a divide symbol.well I divided 3 into 36 and got 12cfm am I on the right track.
    That means cubed or cubic feet. ft^2, ft^3, etc.

I converted your feet to inches for sake of simplicity and multiplied all the dimensions. Then I converted back to feet, 12 inches per foot, but you have to apply the cube to the 12 as well when dividing. This gives us the ft^3 or cubic feet of the space. Then we add the correction factor for your light. Once we have that 106 ft^3 we know we have to completely replace that much ft^3 of air every 3 minutes, so we divide that number by three.

Here I used word equation editor so you can see it properly. Being a stickler on the units is a habit since it forces you to double check your work.

Screen shot 2010-09-13 at 7.34.58 PM.jpg

brbubba if Iam thinking right then I should be able to use a 4 in fan and filter but will that be enough for the 600 watt light and the smell. thanks for all your help.

The filter will affect the calculation. As long as the fan is moving enough cfm then I am sure it would be fine. I'm not a ventilation guy, I'm just doing the calcs for you based on this site's guide.

I don't know what you are growing, so I have no clue what smell issues you would have. If you want to know about carbon filters and ozone generators, I'm definitely not the guy for that.

Again, I can help you with any calcs, but my growing experience is in areas that don't have ventilation concerns.

I want to grow tamatos and peppers to start off with then I will move on to other veggys I know peppers smell real bad. thanks again. This is the first time I 'm growing anything. So I'm happy and excited.
    Last edited by blowdro; 09-14-2010 at 06:36 PM.

I want to grow tamatos and peppers to start off with then I will move on to other veggys I know peppers smell real bad. thanks again. This is the first time I 'm growing anything. So I'm happy and excited.
    Never really noticed any bad smells from peppers, hot or otherwise. I've grown habaneros and had bug issues, but no smell issues. Personally I think Tomato plants smell the worst. You are venting outside and not into your living room right? Seriously, if you take care of your system there really shouldn't be a bad smell. If you are still concerned about it down the road you can consult any of the "mary jane" forums which cover that extensively. I may not be into that stuff, but those guys do some damn fine work. With that in mind you might want to redo your calcs with a carbon filter in place.

Taking that into consideration you are back up around your original estimate, about 45/50 cfm.