Thread: Cloning Tomatoes

Default Cloning Tomatoes

This is my first post so yo everyone, i'm looking forward to learning and contributing much!

My first question is, can you clone tomatoes for hydroponic/aeroponic growing? If so how is this process carried out?

Unregistered Guest

1.Cut your mother plant 3-6 inches long with at least one leaf node, where the leaf meets the branch, attached.
    2.Cut off the bottom two leaves of your cutting with a razor knife then cut 1/4 inc below the lowest leaf node you just cut off. Cut at a 45 -degree angle.
    3.Dip the bottom portion of your cutting into a small glass filled with the rooting hormone. Let the cutting soak in the hormone for at least 30 and no more than 60 seconds.
    4.Place your cutting into your growing medium, such as vermiculite or rockwool, Push the cutting in so that the two leaf nodes you cut are below the surface. Pack the growing medium around the cutting.

Ref: gardenguides.com

Unregistered Guest

Default Test, just a test

Thank you for the great details!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    1.Cut your mother plant 3-6 inches long with at least one leaf node, where the leaf meets the branch, attached.
    2.Cut off the bottom two leaves of your cutting with a razor knife then cut 1/4 inc below the lowest leaf node you just cut off. Cut at a 45 -degree angle.
    3.Dip the bottom portion of your cutting into a small glass filled with the rooting hormone. Let the cutting soak in the hormone for at least 30 and no more than 60 seconds.
    4.Place your cutting into your growing medium, such as vermiculite or rockwool, Push the cutting in so that the two leaf nodes you cut are below the surface. Pack the growing medium around the cutting.

Ref: gardenguides.com
    Nice, I love gardenguides

In my opinion tomatoes don't need rooting gel, and if you plan on eating the tomatoes you'll notice on the side of most rooting gels."not intended for use on food crops" the only gel I would recommend for food crops would be olivias because it contains no hormones. Other than that i would agree with above. Also i would recommend removing 50% of the leaf matter on the canopy of the cutting either by removing whole leaves or literally cutting all of the leaves in half.