Thread: priorities in lighting

Default priorities in lighting

Hey there, new to this cool site. To the point...The more I learn about lighting, the less I understand. In indoor horticulture, which areas are paramount, and the most critical in choosing the correct bulb ??
    1-CRI
    2- PAR values
    3-spectral distribution
    4-lumen depreciation Thanks

Wattage is most important in my indoor lighting book, but if you're already got that sorted then:

1-PAR values
    This is essentially how much light is usable by the plant. In other words, PAR is to plants as lumens are to the human eye. Two different lamps putting out 90k lumens may look equally bright to us, but if the PAR values are different, one will appear brighter to the plant.

2-spectral distribution
    Certain ranges of colors effect plant performance. Blue ranges primarily benefiting leafy growth, while Red ranges benefiting flower development. Green having little/no effect.

3-lumen depreciation
    How often do you want to replace $100 lamps? Although most seem to last at least 1 year.

4-CRI
    This is more of a color accuracy measurement, as long as youre in the correct spectrum range I dont think being this precise is necessary.

good info I agree about wattage being a huge consideration but you cannot underestimate Lumen depreciation too.... I prefer induction due to the low lumen drop off... 90% still at 60,000 hours is niiiice

Quote Originally Posted by Boze View Post
    Wattage is most important in my indoor lighting book, but if you're already got that sorted then:

1-PAR values
    This is essentially how much light is usable by the plant. In other words, PAR is to plants as lumens are to the human eye. Two different lamps putting out 90k lumens may look equally bright to us, but if the PAR values are different, one will appear brighter to the plant.

2-spectral distribution
    Certain ranges of colors effect plant performance. Blue ranges primarily benefiting leafy growth, while Red ranges benefiting flower development. Green having little/no effect.

3-lumen depreciation
    How often do you want to replace $100 lamps? Although most seem to last at least 1 year.

4-CRI
    This is more of a color accuracy measurement, as long as youre in the correct spectrum range I dont think being this precise is necessary.
    Thanks for reply. Its good information related to wattage.