Thread: Cold temp indoor growing?

Default Cold temp indoor growing?

I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight on growing hydroponically in an unheated attached garage in NJ.

The garage is attached to my home on 2 sides and the basement is somewhat heated so there is some warmth lost to the garage.

With addition of a 1000 watt MH lamp, I am sure that it will not get below freezing, however I wouldn't count on anything much above the high 30s in the COLDEST days (today it is in the 40s). I could also heat the space with a cheap unvented natural gas heater but this brings up moisture concerns among other costs, etc. We could also heat the water, which may be more effective.? This can be done with a temperature controller and a heater that would wrap the outside of the reservoir.

For lighting, I was thinking a 1000 watt MH lamp covering a relatively small area of about 17 sq ft (Is this overkill? the AeroFlo2 36 is 50"x50").

Can I grow anything such as claytonia, kale, arugula, spinach, or a nice hardy lettuce successfully under these conditions (fair amount of light, not a lot of heat). If so, what sort of yield could be expected assuming proper nutrients.

I do not plan on re-selling, but consuming and giving away the rest to friends/family. I know electric bill on 1000 watts * 16 hours a day ALONE will cost me ~$90 a month so this has to be considered. 1000 watts for 16 hours may be entirely overkill for this size setup though. 400 watts seems too small, but I don't think they make 600 watts for MH. Have heard of people using HPS (Cornell University) for lettuce, but have also heard that MH is better for vegetative growth. So there are different options. 600 watt HPS for X hours, 1000 watts MH for X-Y hours, etc.

Finally, it is only very cold for a few brief months per year (perhaps 2-3), so this is the worse case scenario. There is also SOME natural light, but it is minimal.
    Last edited by pjcampbell; 12-28-2011 at 02:42 PM.

HPS will provide the spectrums needed for floral growth stage better than M-H so try 600 watts HPS 12 hours on during that time.Smaller light will save you money. 600 watt hps bulb usally has abt 95,000 lummens so that will do verry well in and can actually be used for both vegative and floral stage where as mh cant. so get you a few 600 hps with digitial ballast

Default question

what kind of water work system are you trying to grow in?

I was thinking of this continuous flow system bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=HGSAF36&eq=&Tp= (it won't let me type in the full url) but am open to suggestions.

I hear folks recommending HPS, but at the same time I have read that MH is better for vegetative growth for greens. Any thoughts there? 400 watts for 18 hours would be the same KWH as 600 watts for 12 roughly.

600MH is not common, but they are available. Your bulb options are very limited though.
    http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/items.asp...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

IIRC leafy greens only require about 25-30 watts of lighting per square foot as well.

Cold temp indoor growing is more effective.

You will have to do a heat loss on your garage to know if it will freeze or what the indoor temp will be.

For $40 you can get a submersible water heater. It looks like a baton the cops beat you with andyou just place it in the water and set the desired temp from 60-80 degrees. That would be the best thing to warm the water.

Thanks for starting thread and for reply to query asked, it’s an informative threads for me.