Thread: Outdoor Hydro In Texas Heat

Hybrid View

Default Outdoor Hydro In Texas Heat

I was told by my local shop that I can simply use a water chiller to keep the water at a desirable temp if I wanted to set up a system out doors. I live in Fort Worth TX and last summer we had several 100+ degree days in the summer. Anyway, he told me if the water is chilled that the plants would thrive just fine. Does this guy know what he is talking about? I'm new to this and am already getting frustrated by how many different ways there are of setting up a system. I just want to grow some nice veggies!

Thanks!

That would depend on the type crop your trying to grow many vegetables will stop producing when it gets too hot others will flat out die and still others will thrive in the heat. Squash, bell peppers, cucumbers, lettuce and many others will shut down or burn up in the heat. Tomatoes will often stop producing in high heat. Okra, jalapenos, sweet banana peppers, and some other things will thrive in the heat. Chilling the nutrients will help but shade cloth will also be needed in your area.

Instead of outdoor hydro, I will prefer indoor hydro. Seedling is pretty delicate. Weather change significantly, so I think you have to start with indoor cultivation. Once they are big and generate, they can take some heat.

Quote Originally Posted by kellypinto View Post
    Instead of outdoor hydro, I will prefer indoor hydro. Seedling is pretty delicate. Weather change significantly, so I think you have to start with indoor cultivation. Once they are big and generate, they can take some heat.
    Actually indoors or outdoors is not an easy question to answer it depends on the crop, your equipment, abient temps, amount of sun, how many crops, etc
    I grow in Florida and a convenial greenhouse even with a cool pad system is about useless here the heat of the summer they just won't stay cool enough. I have two top vented greenhouses with roll up sides that along with shade cloth and a misting system allow me to grow in them even during the summer. That said there are still some things that grow better outside in the heat and direct sun

Quote Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
    Actually indoors or outdoors is not an easy question to answer it depends on the crop, your equipment, abient temps, amount of sun, how many crops, etc
    I grow in Florida and a convenial greenhouse even with a cool pad system is about useless here the heat of the summer they just won't stay cool enough. I have two top vented greenhouses with roll up sides that along with shade cloth and a misting system allow me to grow in them even during the summer. That said there are still some things that grow better outside in the heat and direct sun
    Thanks “Pineywoods” for sharing your experience on growing and replying an informative post which can be useful for me in future.

This regarding the heat. What about the light? Is it better to use fluorescent and to be indoor without using plastic? Or to use fluorescent with indoor plastic houses?

Regards
    Bilal