Thread: Watering Tomatoes

Default Watering Tomatoes

Hey everyone! This is my first post! I'm a noob to hydroponics and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Right now, I have a General Hydroponics Waterfarm Kit with a couple tomato plants (Beefsteak I believe) that's doing ok. I have it under a 400 watt MH with a timer set for 16 hours of light. I'm using the GH nutrients that came with the kit and mixing according to what the bottles say. I realize I need a decent EC meter, but that will come later on. I'm also using a GH ph up/down kit to maintain the water ph at around 6.0. This started out as something where I just wanted to see if I could grow a plant. . .it's turned into something that I find myself concerned with more that I had planned! LOL!

I'm doing everything I can according to what I've read on the forums and websites and I've watched these little plants spring up from a seed to 16 - 18 inches tall so far, and branch out HUGE! Early on. . .when the plants were small, about 3 to 4 inches I burned them with nutrients a little after using the wrong measuring spoon, but flushed and restarted feeding and they took off growing.

Lately I notice some of the older leaves curling inwards to the center of the leaf and the branches want to twist downwards. The top grown seems to be getting a little spindly and curling downwards. They have developed about 3 areas where there are about 5 blooms on them and noticed that a couple are beginning to open slightly! Should this happen now on 16 hours of light? The plants are about 45 days old.

I've been running the air pump continuously throughout this whole thing. I once unplugged it at night when the light was out but the next morning I noticed the plants looked wilted slightly so I didn't turn the air pump of since then.

Can the conditions I describe be caused from too much water? The grow area is not crowded and the grow light is about 16 inches away from the top growth with a small fan circulating air.

Does anyone here grow tomatoes using a waterfarm? If so what is your schedule? Any advise would help! Thanks in advance!

I can't comment on the waterfarm. Never unplug the air pump. The number of hours of light thing doesn't really apply to tomatoes. They have a life cycle that isn't triggered by hours of daylight. You might want to cut down on the number of hours of light but you don't have to go to 12. I run at about 15 during bloom. Somethings to watch. Are you refilling your reservoir during the week? If your plants drink a lot of water, the nutrient concentration can get really high and create problems. How often are you dumping and refilling? If you are having problems with the plants, do it weekly. I'd recommend an EC meter, but the plants should be fairly flexible. Measure carefully and you should be close to what you target.

A little follow up. . .they seem actually to be doing ok. The leaf curl just scared me a little and its as if it depends on their mood. They drink a LOT of water and normally I just top of with ph adjusted water through the week and change out the solution once a week. I've followed this regimen for a while and the plants have about 15 tomatoes on them - some big as a marbles and some baseball sized! Thanks for the reply in any case. As I said I'm new to this and still learning but I think I'm on the right track. I was just worried on the leaf curl that I could lose them or something. . .but it's the other way around - they just took off like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrohobby View Post
    Hey everyone! This is my first post! I'm a noob to hydroponics and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Right now, I have a General Hydroponics Waterfarm Kit with a couple tomato plants (Beefsteak I believe) that's doing ok. I have it under a 400 watt MH with a timer set for 16 hours of light. I'm using the GH nutrients that came with the kit and mixing according to what the bottles say. I realize I need a decent EC meter, but that will come later on. I'm also using a GH ph up/down kit to maintain the water ph at around 6.0. This started out as something where I just wanted to see if I could grow a plant. . .it's turned into something that I find myself concerned with more that I had planned! LOL!

I'm doing everything I can according to what I've read on the forums and websites and I've watched these little plants spring up from a seed to 16 - 18 inches tall so far, and branch out HUGE! Early on. . .when the plants were small, about 3 to 4 inches I burned them with nutrients a little after using the wrong measuring spoon, but flushed and restarted feeding and they took off growing.

Lately I notice some of the older leaves curling inwards to the center of the leaf and the branches want to twist downwards. The top grown seems to be getting a little spindly and curling downwards. They have developed about 3 areas where there are about 5 blooms on them and noticed that a couple are beginning to open slightly! Should this happen now on 16 hours of light? The plants are about 45 days old.

I've been running the air pump continuously throughout this whole thing. I once unplugged it at night when the light was out but the next morning I noticed the plants looked wilted slightly so I didn't turn the air pump of since then.

Can the conditions I describe be caused from too much water? The grow area is not crowded and the grow light is about 16 inches away from the top growth with a small fan circulating air.
    Thanks “hydrohobby” for sharing an informative thread. It will be a knowledgeable thread for us.

You should never have an over watering problem as long as you keep your water properly oxygenated

Glad to hear that the tomatoes are doing better and looking forward to some pics of the grow in the future!

If we keep water properly oxygenated, we will never occur over watering problem. Is there any drawback of over watering?

Tomatoes are easy to plant.