+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a primer on plant nutrients and hydroponics

Default Looking for a primer on plant nutrients and hydroponics

I am going to start a balcony garden - first thing will be wheat grass grown with soil, then without soil, then green leafies like spinach, and then on to tomatoes, cucumbers and root crops, space permitting. A plan is to not only grow things in the summer but to develop a system that will grow things year round. Lighting is on the agenda, and even sprouting cabinets. I have watched dozens of youtube videos about hp and have gathered a lot of information but I find that I need a deeper source. I am especially interested now in learning about the ins and outs of nutrients. It seems that plants need different nutrients during different phases of life. I have also read hints that different kinds of plants, i.e. tomatoes vs spinach, need different kinds of nutrients. Can someone point me to some websites that contain this kind of information? Ideal would be a table with this information.

It seems that it is not possible to use on sump of water/nutrients to grow all things during all phases of the plants life. As I am learning and planning, I would like to build into my plan a way to do this with the minimum number of sumps, pumps, parts, etc.

There's a lot of questions in there pengyou. As far as nutrients, I'd start with the manufacturers website. I use General Hydroponics stuff. They have good information about how to use their stuff on their site including feeding schedules. I've used their Flora Series (3 part) for years without any additional additives/supplements. I've had good results with it with a wide variety of vegetables and some melons. Nutrient strength does vary for different types of plants. I've never found a good reference for how to tweak the 3 parts for specific plants (like tomatoes). However, I've never had issues.

More recently I've started using GH FloraNova (1 part). So far it has been great stuff. I did start using their Rapid Root stuff and a root drench by FoxFarm called Kangaroots to encourage root growth. Both of which seem to do wonders for developing a strong root system. Hope this helps.

As far as minimizing the amount of equipment, I think you are asking about types of hydroponic systems. The simplest system is DWC. All you need is an air pump and air stones. I've done lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers and watermelon in DWC with no issues.
    Last edited by David G.; 10-03-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks for threads and replied on related topic. It’s an informative and I will applied in my future growth.

No matter which hydroponics system you decide on, there is one factor common to them all is a nutrient solution. There is an agenda of track for primer on nutrients. An array of queries could surround you while looking for a primer, there the trailing link would assist you with the steps for intoxicated and healthy gardening.

Go through this link http://www.tutorvista.com/content/bi...tion-modes.php and you will understand different types of nutrients plant need.
    north shore

+ Reply to Thread