+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outdoor Hydroponics

Default Outdoor Hydroponics

So I have purchased a CAP Ebb & Grow system which is essentially a 55 gallon drum for the reservoir and 12 buckets with hoses + a water pump. I am using hydroton as the medium.

My plan is to do this outdoors. The reason is that I have a small backyard but it is all concrete, no soil. I can't do it indoors unfortunately for other reasons.

I built a frame around it with PVC pipe (Hell's it's like a small greenhouse, 10 feet by 10 feet almost) and covered it in a painters plastic that is transparent so it lets light in but the rain won't get anything wet and wind won't be such an issue.

This is my first attempt at hydroponics, has anyone else done it outdoors before with any success? I live in Northern CA so it doesn't get too hot or cold. I am buying a chiller for when summer comes and right now I have a submersible water heater so I can keep the temperature at the ranges I want even outdoors. I also have 2 air-stones aerating the water in the reservoir.

So has anyone else done this outdoors? Other than more critters, I don't see why it can't be done honestly. Some people say it can't but that doesn't make sense to me. The climate here is good because its never too warm or too cold (no frost or anything).
    Last edited by Outdoor_Hydro; 03-27-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Post up some pics! Be careful blocking your garden off from the outside world (your plastic liner) due to pollination issues (I think). Since your backyard is all concrete then maybe you won't have to worry about pests too, lol.

I am just starting my first outdoor setup also and am a bit excited. I live in south FL, however, so it's always killer hot here especially with this summer starting. I am going to have to figure out a way to keep my temps down. I'm putting my reservoir below ground in shade so that should help a bit but I doubt it's enough. Oh well we'll see. Once that's up I'm gonna set up a dwc for lettuce next to it o.O

Anyways, yeah I know of plentyoutdoor hydro grows. Even saw some in thailand parks when I went there.

Yes "cheshire" you're right. I totally agree with you. Thanks for reply.

Outdoors is the way to go...free sunlight - you can't beat that !

Yes xponics, youre right. I totally agree with your reply regarding outdoor cultivation. Thanks for reply.

+ Reply to Thread