Thread: Growing rhubarb hydroponically to facilitate growth in the tropics.

Default Growing rhubarb hydroponically to facilitate growth in the tropics.

I've been trying to grow rhubarb in Paauillo, Hawaii for a while, and I was told it would never work.
    But after killing a few Glaskin's hybrid seedlings in soil I decided hydroponics would work.
    I though I'd have to chill the nutrient, but I tried without it to see what would happen.
    So far it's growing using Flora Nove Gro at 6 milliliters per gallon, I use 100PPM tap water, and sometime want to actually get a pen to measure EC. I've been watching the leafs to ensure each one is bigger then or atleast the same size as the preceding one.
    The pictures are a few days old, in that time a second growing point has formed, and the roots seem to be rapidly growing.

Supposedly rhubarb doesn't like to be water logged(it grows but more is better ) so perhaps ebb and flow, fog using an ultrasonic fogger, or such could be an improvement? I have an aquaponics system but that's for lettuce and others that tolerate being immersed in water without a ton of areation.
    530649_3769589532835_1838072224_n.jpg427751_3769592812917_907468278_n.jpg

You can grow rhubarb hydroponically well with some hydroponics grow nutrients like GH, FF, Botanicare and Advanced Nutrients. My grower friends prefer advanced nutrients and FF for hydroponic system.

It seems to be growing very well with Flora Nova.
    I'm wanting to give it some sun, but I'm thinking it could be detrimental.
    So far it's good but it's in a 4" pot, and it's well rooted in it.
    Should I leave it for a few more months then rip/cut it out, or just leave it?
    I'm betting it will get big enough to engulf the whole bucket, and then some.

Thanks for reply “jm82792”. It looks good to be growing well with GH Flora Nova. I don’t have any experience with GH products. But I am eager to see solution for this.

It's growing well, it's taken the whole 5 gallon bucket over.
    I think other plants were taking from it nutrient wise.
    I transplanted it from a 2" pot to a 5" pot or so.
    I slowly cut it out over a week, then moved it.
    It lost half it's root system, but it's coming back strong, and well.
    Furthermore, I filled the unused holes with net pots full of crushed lava rock.
    They get wet, which enables evaporation cooling. (I need to do topoffs through the pots to wash the nutes back in?)
    Today I added a computer fan to one of the holes.
    So now the nutrient solution is a lot cooler even with high RH.
    I just need to find a long necked bottle to make an auto topoff thing, then this should be set.

I'm still on 7 milliliters per gallon for flora nova.
    I'd like to try something more premium then just the base model nutrient, but it works, and that's what counts.
    Overall for Hawaii it grows well, hopefully it will pickup enough vigor to enable regular harvests.
    I figure I will need a half dozen plants for a good regular harvest, the current plant seems to be putting up small buds which should divide into more plants. But I'd like to try more varieties, we shall see how "Victoria" does over the Glaskins Hybrid.

547855_4257552771611_446115272_n.jpg547851_4257569012017_1623446848_n.jpg[URL="https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/547855_4257552771611_446115272_n.jpg"]
    Just floranova but I started adding maxicrop seaweed emulsification.
    The computer fan I think helps a lot.
    Last edited by jm82792; 04-25-2013 at 01:01 AM.

I added some new rhubarb plants to a larger 25 gallon DWC system.
    I wasn't super clean with it but I was always clean but I think I contaminated the system.
    The roots are turning black, decomposing, and the leafs are wilting.
    The seed grown large plant is okay on the newer leafs, but I have not had enough time to see if it will continue growing.
    The smaller plants were doing great then suddenly wilted.
    There are some roots left that are healthy, there doesn't appear to be any crown rot.
    So would 3% peroxide suffice at one ounce per gallon?
    I did notice even when the plant was thriving it had a fair amount of roots dying off then regrowing.
    Perhaps temperatures spikes would cause some root necrosis then they'd suddenly grow back in cooler times?
    It's hot out, but it's been that way before. I am frusterated but if they survive then it's temperature related and I'll have to shade them more or so forth. The nute solution never went past 73F or so and drops to 65F at night, are temps hit 85F in the day though.

Cool Hydroponics

An interesting experiment, me personally, have never tried growing Rhubarb, but well done on the growth though.

Basically, Rhubarb is a cold-climate plant producing sour vegetables that are eaten as a fruits. Considering its temperature-sensitive nature, it is always a great idea to grow it hydroponically. You can start by getting the finest-quality seeds and use an ebb-and-flow system. Make sure you have a rough yet strong container that you can move as per requirements.

And when it comes to using a nutrient solution, your choice should be a top-notch product. My preference has always been Golden Tree. It not only accelerates plant growth, but also acts as a versatile product that can be used at different stages including flower and fruit phases. Above all, it is an excellent finisher.