Thread: Your Meter Opinions greatly appreciated

Question Your Meter Opinions greatly appreciated

I'm a newbie to hydroponics and am looking at buying PH and TDS/EC meter. I notice that there are a few TDS/EC meters (Truncheon, EC Dipstick) that do not need calibrating with solutions, storage solutions, etc.

Is anyone using any of these and are they OK or should I be looking into something like a Hanna?

Also, are the combo meters OK or is it best to stay with separate PH, TDS.

Any brand suggestions would also be appreciated. I have five separate tanks so a portable would be needed.

Thanks in advance for helping out!
    Steve

Default Meters

Steve,

I use a Hanna Combo meter to measure ppm and pH. I have had good success with these meters, however, they do require infrequent calibration (which is not difficult) to maintain maximum accuracy. The main drawback is that you have to spend a little more money to get the appropriate calibration and storage solution. These meters, in my opinion, are great meters; they are water proof, easy to use, accurate, and very portable.

I have also used Oakaton meters also and they work well too.

I would suggest a multi parameter meter either way. Monitoring pH is important, but so is your total dissolved solids.

Good luck!

David H.
    BGH Grow Expert
    www.bghydro.com

Unregistered Guest

Default hanna combo meter

i just purchased a hanna combo HI98129.I'm a little technicly retarted i guess cause i cant figure this thing out.when i turn it on it always has the (cal)on down in the left corner.should it be on or off after calibration?also i cant get it to read the temp in(f).i think they could have put a few more direct buttons on these things for the money.i stuck with it now though so i need to learn how to use it. any help would be great!!

We actually wrote our own instructions for our customers, as the Hanna instructions can be difficult to follow. Here is some information that should help:

Navigate to the following page:
    http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc....EMCOHAP&eq=&Tp=

You'll notice several PDF attachments on this page; click on the one titled: View TDS/EC Calibration Instructions.

On page 2, under "Changing the Calibration Factor for Hanna Meters (HI98311 and HI98129)" you will find instructions on how to change from C to F.

Don't worry about the cal always showing up; this is normal.

Hope this helps.
    David G.
    BGH Forum Moderator
    www.bghydro.com