Flat White vs. Mylar?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat White vs. Mylar?

Default Flat White vs. Mylar?

My 8x8, vented, grow room will be constructed of waterproof sheet rock and will utilize a sliding glass door (patiotype). I undecided about the pro's and con's of just paining the interior with an ultra white flat paint (with mildew inhibitor) or covering the walls ceiling and sliding doors with Mylar. I realize the Mylar may be more prone to damage, but I don't think "traffic" will be a problem. How can I best adhere the Mylar to the walls/glass door?

Does anyone have experience in "gluing" Mylar film to walls?
    This seems to be the best way to ensure it will stay flat, but I don't know what kind of adhesive to use. I don't think a wallpaper type will work and I'm afraid the spray adhesives will make it impossible to align and smooth as it is applied to the wall.
    Is one of the other reflective sheets better to use.
    I'd prefer to not use the 2'4' aluminum panels.

Flat white paint with a mildew inhibitor is actually a very good choice. Mylar would reflect a bit better, but flat white reflects light better than most people think. If you want your reflective surface to double as insulation then I would recommend our Astro Foil. If insulating the grow room isn't paramount, then mylar or even black & white poly would give you the best bang for your buck.

I've used several different methods in the past to hang mylar, including staples, spray cement, and industrial-strength double-sided tape.

The only aluminum panels I would consider using are those distributed by National Garden Wholesale. They are made of the same material used in their top-end reflectors (such as the Super Sun), but they are very expensive.
    David G.
    BGH Forum Moderator
    www.bghydro.com

Thank you for your response.
    I like the idea that I might get a few more percentage points of reflection off the mylar -- if done right, but might lose that much or more if the application is not smooth.
    Insulation not an issue here, but I may check out the product you mentioned.
    I thought about applying the mylar to the wallboard panels before they are installed. I fugured if I made a tension holder for the sheet and lowered the whole sheet down onto the wall board with an adhesive on it, I might get a nice smooth application. Two problems with this thougth -- 1. to keep from marring the surface when it's handled and 2. how to screw it to the metal studs without destroying the coated surface!
    May have do do some experimenting on a smaller scale first.
    (Ran across some information elsewhere that indicates that a specialty wall paper paste might actually work and allow the mylar (2 mil) to be smoothed once it's on the wall. Drying is accomplished by the moisture being absorbed into the wallboard.)

Default white vs shine

NJ ... it seams like an aweful lot of work for a couple percent of additional light reflection?

I use the black/white plastic myself. So easy to work with, durable, and effective.

My concern with your approach would be that following such time investment, some level of damage could still occur to the mylar over time. If 'pasted' to your wall boards, repair could be difficult.

My creedo ... keep it simple.

Unregistered Guest

if you use plastic roof paint made by i believe aimes, it has a 98% reflectivity and a class A fire rating there website says it is 29.99 buck a gallon and covers 100 square feet. just google reflective roof paint. actually bghydro might want to offer this stuff next to the reflectix and mylar.

I hadn't even thought about a reflective roof coating. I guess that makes good sense if the Ref # is really that high. I 'll check it out. Many thanks for the post!

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NJGardener View Post
    My 8x8, vented, grow room will be constructed of waterproof sheet rock and will utilize a sliding glass door (patiotype). I undecided about the pro's and con's of just paining the interior with an ultra white flat paint (with mildew inhibitor) or covering the walls ceiling and sliding doors with Mylar. I realize the Mylar may be more prone to damage, but I don't think "traffic" will be a problem. How can I best adhere the Mylar to the walls/glass door?

double sided tape will work

Unregistered Guest

Hey NJ, I also am thinking of mylar, and thought maybe spray adhesive would work. I will buy a can and try with a scrap peice. I think it would be avaliable at any craft store.
    Hiigel

Unregistered Guest

Thumbs up 10th year - Mylar can't be beat

If you haven't used Mylar then I would understand why pain may be a consideration. I can't urge one enough the big difference between Mylar and paint, glossy or not. All paint has natural light absorbance. If it didn't, you'd never be able to stare at it for more than a few hours without getting some type of headache. Try and look in a mirror with a light behind you for an hour and you will see what a "Very Big," difference Mylar has in light reflection.
    Even the silver covered insulating boards (4'x8') don't offer half of the reflection properties of Mylar. ATTACHING IT TO WALL. You need not glue it or tape it to get it to stay. You just need a small electric stapler (Home Depot $25) using 1/2" staples. To keep it from ripping just cut small pieces of cardboard (1"x1") and use then at every point you staple. Put cardboard on top of Mylar and staple it in place over the Mylar. It will hold down the Mylar in place and keep it from ripping. If you think you need more, buy some aluminum tape from here of Home Depot and tape over the corners. The tape is incredibly sticky and will hold better than duct tape and will also shine. I cannot stress how little light you will lose with Mylar and how much benefit you will gain. The difference between my first crop of #$% without Mylar and those that have followed can be measured in elbows; as in plural.
    Nothing compares to Mylar except mirrors.
    TC - Greek