+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C02 and sealed room question

Unregistered Guest

Default C02 and sealed room question

Ive been experimenting with hydroponics and I am now running a sealed room (Closet size) Dual stage (Top and Botton) 250 MH on top and 400 Hps on bottom. I am air cooling my lights, Pulling air outside the room and exhausting out the room. The room itself maintains an ambient temp between 72 and 82 degrees. Never really goes above or below that.

I would like to start experimenting with C02 injection.
    From what I read the big deal about C02 injection is timing your exhaust fans and C02 controllers to not interfere with eachother. (Pulling the c02 out of the room before it can have any effect on the plants). I am not really using an intake/exhaust fan to exchange the air in the room. I have been exchanging the air in the room while im tending to the plants etc... basically by opening the grow room with a fan on.

would it be benificial to add an intake or exhaust fan into the sealed grow room if I dont have a heat issue while using c02?
    Or can I just use c02 to enrich the atmosphere without a controlled and specific exchange of the air in the environment?

Is there something I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

This is a great forum and an awesome website. All of your articles have been very helpfull to me with my new hobby!

Unregistered Guest

Default CO2 generator

hi:

i reading your letter, i know you have some problems about how to deal with CO2 in sealed house, i know something about that, so if you like, please send E-mail to my E-mail: Liang171717@163.com, i'd like answer your question!

Thumbs up CO2 N' You

I have been using Co2 for 8 yrs now (2_20lb tanks - 1 active, 1 backup). I have a Control Wizard that regulates temp & humidity by way of 3 Dayton Fans enclosed in wood boxes (2_250CFM, 1_450 CFM). I use a 20" oscillating fan to introduce the o2 to my 8'x8'x8' area. I never turn off the o2 while the lights are on and 1 tank lasts 3 weeks set @ 1.5 via a regulator on the tank. If your exhaust fan is at the top of your grow area as is mine ( 1_450cfm Dayton) you need not worry about loss of o2 as it is heavier than air. I have an 8" hole in the 24"x24" box which houses the Exhaust Fan. The box also has dual 4" male intakes for the exhaust from the lights which is pushed by a Dayton 250cfm fan also boxed w/8" intake from outside to a 4" male out to soft aluminum flex tubing to 2 1000 watt lights to exhaust fan. The reason I keep the o2 on for both 18hr & 12hr periods is simple; it's cheap @ $14.00 per 20lb tank. It kicks a$$ guy and really does nearly double the end result. Since you have a small grow area, you would set your regulator @ 1/2 - 3/4 flow per hr and need but a small 10lb tank which should last you 2 weeks @ minimum. Co2 is a must if youre serious.
    GL - Greek
    Don't Sweat The Petty Stuff - Pet The Sweaty Stuff

The room itself maintains an ambient temp between 72 and 82 degrees. Never really goes above or below that.

I have read (unconfirmed) that CO2 does little to help production at below 80 degrees.

From what I read the big deal about C02 injection is timing your exhaust fans and C02 controllers to not interfere with eachother. (Pulling the c02 out of the room before it can have any effect on the plants). I am not really using an intake/exhaust fan to exchange the air in the room. I have been exchanging the air in the room while im tending to the plants etc... basically by opening the grow room with a fan on. Would it be benificial to add an intake or exhaust fan into the sealed grow room if I dont have a heat issue while using c02?
    Or can I just use c02 to enrich the atmosphere without a controlled and specific exchange of the air in the environment?

CO2 doesn't need to be exhausted, just maintained at the correct levels. However, at night, fresh air would be beneficial for the plants. In terms of adding the in/out fans, you would no longer have a sealed environment but if that doesn't bother you then yes, you should add them if for nothing else but the night cycle. If you have AC then you are already introducing fresh air.

I hope this helps. Happy growing!

Unregistered Guest

Default No venting is betta.

Actually you would be doing the right thing by not venting with Co2 because when you venting with co2 is throwing money down the drain. If you didnt vent before co2 you definately should not vent with the addition. Why fill the room with co2 and vent it out soon after? The hard part of not venting is controling temp and humidity. You may need a dehumidifier, AC, and Carbon scrubber to control atmosphere. They sell a mini dehumidifier for $40 bucks and AC's need to vent out so it will no longer be a true closed space unless you get an air cooler that fans in moist humid air into the grow room but than that could raise humidity. Uhhhh!

Unregistered Guest

Angry in the same boat

im basiacally in the same boat as the original poster. I guess since we cant get a solid yes or no, i think if we ask the right questions maybe we can figure it out on our own. One question for example, How long does it take for the plants to obsorb the Co2. If we can figure this out then maybe we can set all timers to not interfear with eachother. I would hate to be exhausting unobsorbed Co2, and not even know it. Someone above suggested injecting the Co2 at night. That way when the lights are off, we dont need to worry about exausting anything. Thus keeping the Co2 in the grow area for the longest. This raises another issue like someone mentioned above, at exactly what temperature range does Co2 have the most advantage? If its completely useless under 80F, then injecting during the cooler nights with lights are off would be a waste of money. Third and final question, is Co2 benificial during both veg/flower phases? This brings up a whole different issue with timing again since most growers do full 24hour veg cycles and need a fan on a thermostat that can turn on at any moment..blowing your precious Co2 out the window..... : (

Unregistered Guest

Cool Green Air Products

to controll the C02 flow you should buy the CT-DH3 & 3p from green air it is just an atmosphere controller but they do have better options just really pricey. As far as Co2 with flower stage i read that it decreases potency but i also read that it increases density so i am not sure it is deffinitly worth looking into GOOD LUCK!!!!!! hope your rooms as green as mine BUBBLEPONICS ARE AMAZINGLY FAST AND PRODUCTIVE!!

co2 is useful in both the veg and flowering stages of plant life. Also it has nothing to do with if its above 80 degrees. All plants use co2 in photosynthesis, therefore more co2 (to a point) equals more plant growth. In fact co2 can double harvest size in some cases (not typical by any means).

However there are a few things to keep in mind: 1. Exhaust fans should be OFF when co2 is being released and for enough time after for the co2 to be used by the plants, 2. Using one of the calculators on the web put in your room size and target co2 this will give you the proper setting on your regulator, 3. Purchase at a minimum a cycle timer (co2 only needs to be dispensed for 5min-1hr depending on room size to reach optimum co2 levels), 4. Don't run co2 in the dark!!! Plants need light to carry on photosynthesis therefore running co2 in the dark is just wasting money.

There are other solutions besides tanks as well for example co2boost (product which uses a natural reaction to create co2 and a air pump to distribute it into the garden), dry ice, excelo fizz (spelling?) tablets, yeast/sugar setups, and vingear dripped onto vinegar. Also most people don't blow the co2 in with a fan instead they use a tube with holes in it which is hung/laid in/around the garden or a similar setup.

Hope this helps with the question.

Unregistered Guest

I'm also in the same boat with you guys. Temperature control is going to be an issue with me in general.
    Anyway, for what it's worth, remember that plants consume CO2 and give off oxygen during photosynthesis (when the lights are on) and then consume oxygen and give off CO2 during rest (when the lights are off), so supplementing CO2 when it's dark won't help as the plants won't be using it then.

Quote Originally Posted by MyUserName View Post
    co2 is useful in both the veg and flowering stages of plant life. Also it has nothing to do with if its above 80 degrees. All plants use co2 in photosynthesis, therefore more co2 (to a point) equals more plant growth. In fact co2 can double harvest size in some cases (not typical by any means).

In fact, temperature DOES directly affect the rate at which CO2 affects plant growth. The higher the temp (up to about 90 degrees) the faster the CO2 will be used and the faster the plant will produce. Temperatures lower than 78 degrees and the use of CO2 becomes marginal and mostly ineffectual and certainly not cost effective.

Further, it is highly unlikely that given two identical growing situations with the only difference being the application of CO2 in one, that you would be able to double your production. Most estimates range from a 10% increase to at the most 40% increase in crop production. I personally experience about 10-15% increase though I question whether the additional costs and general pain in the ass of having to deal with propane tanks is worth it for most people. Do yourself a favor and get a natural gas CO2 generator and connect it to your home gas line. You can thank me later.

Happy Growing!

+ Reply to Thread