Thread: Bugs indoors! HELP! *pictures*

Angry Bugs indoors! HELP! *pictures*

My pepper plant was doing well, developing some good leaves, but then it seems just like it stopped growing. Nutrient & PH levels were good, then today I'm inspecting it and notice that the underside of one of the leaves is COVERED with what I believe are white flies. Many of the other leaves had bugs on them as well. (I've never had a problem with these before)

They are ONLY on the pepper plant. I'm also growing basil, rosemary, parsley, and inspected all of them today but didn't find any of the bugs on them.

My "greenhouse" is indoors, so that will limit me somewhat. I am also using PureBlend Pro organic nutrients. The pepper plant is in a General Hydro Waterfarm by itself with its own nutrients, so if there is an additive that's compatible with my nutrients that would correct the problem, that might work.

Any help with identification & solutions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!. I'm planning to pick up some yellow sticky traps tomorrow and see if that does anything.

twinturboguy Guest

They look like spider mites which are a very common plant pest. If you leave them on any longer, your plant will have stagnant growth or die. It might have been possible for them to come indoors through contaminated clothing, and shoes from outside, or nearby open windows.

They do have a few pesticides for them at your local garden center but I would not recommend them for vegetable plants. I suggest on using organic oils to spray on your plant. You might be able to purchase these oils at the store but if you do a little more research, you can find recipes to make your very own potent spray made from baking soda or vinegar.

Unregistered Guest

They do look like whitefly pic on wiki...

Most hydro supply shops/sites sell yellow sticky traps that will control whitefly population.

good luck

CS

What you have is an aphid infestation. If they aren't on your basil yet, they will be soon.

You have a few options for treatment. The fastest and easiest way to treat them would be with Bayer Tree & Shrub, but only if you are still several weeks away from harvest.

Another option would be beneficial insects. There are a few to choose from, including green lacewings and ladybugs, although these are more expensive.

You can also use any pyrethrin-based or soap product (there are several to choose from on our website) or neem oil. If you use neem oil or any other concentrated pest control product that is applied to the plant using a spray bottle, I would highly recommend the use of a wetting agent, such as Coco Wet or Penetrator.

There are other options as well, but this should be a good start.
    David G.
    BGH Forum Moderator
    www.bghydro.com

I'll probably shy away from the predator insects for now since it's in the house.

I've gotten rid of that pepper plant, and some of the bugs have moved to my parsley...so far they've stayed away from basil, rosemary, and mint.

I'm going to pick up some "Don't bug me" tonight to try, since I routinely harvest those herbs, it sounds like the Bayer won't be an option for them, though I may give it a try on the next pepper plant (since it has it's own separate nute solution).

Predators consume other insects, whereas parasites lay eggs on or inside other insects. When the larvae emerge, they feed in or on their hosts, destroying them in the process. Since insects are the most successful living organisms on Earth, it makes good sense to take advantage of these relationships by pitting one against another, maintaining a reasonable balance. A healthy garden will host a variety of insects that fall into both the pest and beneficial categories. Some will even turn up in both, depending on their life cycle stage and available food. In general, the leaves of a healthy plant should be a uniform colour – unless it is a variegated form, of course – free of any blotches, mottling or obvious signs of damage. Controlling plant pests in the garden has always been a struggle because there is no suitable organic chemical to treat them. I find that hoeing between plants regularly reduces soil pests by bringing them to the surface, where birds can find them easier. You can try to seek answers on this site: link removed, they might help you of what to do and what solution you may use to get rid of the pest but take care of the plant.
    Last edited by Henry S; 08-06-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: link removed. spam.