Thread: Growth Support

Unregistered Guest

Default Growth Support

I am about to undertake another setup of hydroponic gardening and I was wondering about a problem I had before. As my tomatoes and pepper plants got big last time, I had to use supports to hold them up. I was wondering what kind of supports there are for sale out there that might be easier to use. I used green wire and pvc and it was not easy to keep up with the plants growth this way and I know there has to be an easier way. Any ideas or suggestions? Pictures would be great as well.

Unregistered Guest

Default Growth Support

I have had the same problem in the past. What I did was build a frame out of pvc pipe that hooked to my bench, and I bought a hammock at walmart for about $8 that I stretched across the frame. The plants grow up to the net spread out when they hit it, which makes a nice flat canonpy under lights, and eventually they will grow through and hold themselves upright.

Unregistered Guest

check into screen of green scrog easy and efficient

Default Support is a key factor

I find that 1', 2' and 3' support stakes (metal or otherwise) work well typically and you can maneuver them well for growth. They are also easily reusable.

I found these easily at HD or other home improvement places. Also, BGH carries some other type of support systems too (haven't tried them).

Unregistered Guest

Default Nets Are Good

A net is perfect for stringy tomatoes. Just make sure that there are not to many leave at the top stealing light from the lower branches. Fruits should also be monitored a little mo

I use PVC pipe as well..... here is a pic:

Unregistered Guest

Default gardencenter may have solution

Hi Have you tried the metal supports made for holding up large flowers. Usually you find them in various lengths, painted green, long straight wire with a horizontal loop at the top to encircle the flower. I use 18" ones and cut them when shorter ones are needed. Kind of an old fashioned thing my grandma used to use but effective in tight spaces! Good Luck!

I use yo-yo's. BgHydro sells them. i like them because, well for an indoor garden the support system doesnt interfere with the light effectiveness. Also, sometime plants have a mind of their own and these yo-yo's allow you to support them on their terms. Cuts down on powdery mildew caused by congestion and less air flow which lattice systems create.

On that note ^, if pockets of humidity are forming on a dense trellis suppported canopy, it is a good idea to add an oscilating fan above and below the canopy to ensure that "micro climates" are not forming below where air movement is restricted by foliage.
    Last edited by John M.; 01-07-2010 at 03:46 PM.