clones turning into mush before they root???

Thread: clones turning into mush before they root???

LNasty Guest

Default clones turning into mush before they root???

i use an ez cloner 120, and have had great success! Now tthat i have moved, i cant seem to get my clones to root. i cut at a 45 degree angle just under the 2nd node, then striaght into clonex rooting gel. and i run it 24/7. i also ad olivia's cloning solution. i keep my ph at 6.3-5.8 cause it drops over a day or 2. so i adjust to 6.3 and let it fall till 5.8 then readjust.as for my ppm i set it about 450. thought it might have been and oxygen problem so i changed out to a bigger air pump and more air stones.i mist twice daily to keeep them moist. i have never run into this type of problem before. the stem is turning brown and hollow and eventually turns to mush, but will last about 3 weeks. someone please help!

It sounds like a fungus problem. Clean out the system with 10 parts bleach to 1 part water or Hydrogen peroxide (1 tsp per gallon). Run the solution throughly for a day before you pick your clones. You might want to thoroughly clean each neoprene inserts also.

Quote Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
    i use an ez cloner 120, and have had great success! Now tthat i have moved, i cant seem to get my clones to root. i cut at a 45 degree angle just under the 2nd node, then striaght into clonex rooting gel. and i run it 24/7. i also ad olivia's cloning solution. i keep my ph at 6.3-5.8 cause it drops over a day or 2. so i adjust to 6.3 and let it fall till 5.8 then readjust.as for my ppm i set it about 450. thought it might have been and oxygen problem so i changed out to a bigger air pump and more air stones.i mist twice daily to keeep them moist. i have never run into this type of problem before. the stem is turning brown and hollow and eventually turns to mush, but will last about 3 weeks. someone please help!
    sound like the new room is probably a new rate of RH....do you use a dome with the cloner,,,,,if not try it next time

Default EZ-Clone Root mush help

I have an EZ-Clone 30 and have also experienced the problem of stems turning to mush. On about my 12th time using the machine, I notice that stems were turning a grey brown and had gotten soft, when normally there would be nice white nubs forming. After spending numerous hours online looking at information, I came to the conclusion that even though I was cleaning it thoroughly after each use it had gotten contaminated with pathogens. I ran the system with a hot water bleach solution and then again with hot water and hydrogen peroxide solution. Then I rinsed it out, ran it with fresh water, rinsed again and let completely dry.
    The next cycle of clones had 10 inch long roots hanging in the water by day 16, as it should be.

As a preventative measure I sterilize the entire system twice if being used perpetually or before and after each cloning cycle if it's going back in the box for a while. It may seem like a hassle but its better than losing 30, 60 or 120 cuttings.

Another thing you may want to consider is the temperature of the water. I was having a hard time keeping my temps low so I purchased an aquarium chiller called an IceProbe. It attaches to your reservoir through a hole you cut and chills the water as it comes into contact with the probe.

My clone room has a temperature of around 20-24 degrees C (68-75 F)
    Humidity is between 30-35% (I know it could be much higher but this it what it stays at) and my 2 foot 4 bulb T5 florescent is about 24 inches above the top on an 18/6 timer. I use a generic rooting gel on the cuttings and adjust the waters pH to around 5.8-6.0. For the first week or so I spray the leaves with some mild rooting solution but have never used a humidity dome.
    I have also noticed that if you change the water around day 8 or 9, the roots are suddenly triggered. Without new water it takes much longer if it goes at all.

I hope some of this helps out.
    Keep cloning

Unregistered Guest

Talking Hope it's not too late

Quote Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
    I have had this same issue, if it wasn't due to what was already said. I find that use of any cloning gel seems to choke the cutting. The water being emitted from the aero sprayhead can't get to the stem if it has (IMO any at all) Olivia's gel on it. I have only tried this gel and instantly went to Clonex solution (NOT gel) after the death or heavy wilting of the fresh cuttings. I have also manually cleaned the cloning gel off the stem and saved the cut from suffication. I have however had success with Olivia's gel in rockwool and coco. Hope this helped.
    Cheers

I have experienced the same problem and found that it was from the water I was using. I was on city water for years, then had to put in my own well and found out that the well water had significant amounts of calcium and Iron and a PPM of over 500. I put in an RO system and that solved that problem but as has been stated, keeping it clean is a key issue. I soak my foam disc's in Flora Shield over night and then run my cloner with 100:1 solution of the same for a day prior to putting in a new batch of clones. Roots in 10-12 days on average and 95% success +.