ÔĽŅ Do LED grow lights really work? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do LED grow lights really work?

Default Do LED's work?

Hi,

Like many I've been trying to gather information on how LEDs function as grow lights. As the original poster points out, a lot of dubious information is being provided by vendors trying to protect their business interests, whether that be selling LED lighting or conventional HID lighting.

I think it's pretty clear that LEDs are not going to completely replace other lighting solutions anytime soon, but it seems plausible that LED systems have some contribution to make.

I decided to run some experiments for myself and track the results on my blog. I'm conducting some experiments growing lettuce (which isn't too fussy and doesn't need to flower or fruit) under LED's and conventional lighting.

If interested, you can track the experiment here:
    http://thebucketfarm.blogspot.com/search?q=led+lettuce

Or browse the entire blog here:
    http://thebucketfarm.blogspot.com

I'm 15 days into the experiment so there's nothing conclusive yet.

-Drippy

subscribed
    Henry
    BGH Forum Administrator
    www.bghydro.com

Unregistered Guest

Default LEDs for food production.

LED plant lighting has forced the hand of science, to reexamine how light is measured, and how light (more spcifically targeted wavelengths) is involved in plant grow. Growers for perhaps the first time are prompted to consider other principle factors which contribute to any plant growth environment (temperature and CO2 most specifically).
    For example, plants grown beneath 600 watts HPS, when moved beneath LEDs only are already overwatered...just by changing the lightsource! By removing the hps in this example, the gardener is completely removing the majority of heat from the plant enviroment, so the plants which were formally growing fine under the highly evaporative hps lightsource are now drowned under the 'non' evaporative LED lightsource.
    I will let this example sit for awhile, hopefully to limit suseptability to trolls...
    Thanks for starting this thread. This is the frame of mind we need for success...
    LEDer

Unregistered Guest

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why don't I believe that Harvard would say that they work and work good?

Link to the research paper please. If you provide a link to the abstract in a reasonably scientific journal it would be easier to believe you.
    You are a snot.
    Why not just ask for further research?

Unregistered Guy Guest

Default Uh..

You are a snot.
    Why not just ask for further research?
    And he's not even correct, the guy was saying that sentence, then provided a separate snippet which he said was from the Harvard study. Some people like to criticize before they think.

Default I've been curious about that too.

Glad you posted this.

Unregistered Guest

Default to anyone that can help

Unlike most people, l am willing to pay the high cost for theses lights in order to save on electricity which is at 26p per Kw/h the now and rising. Iím on the market for a 600w LED lamp at a cost of around 600 pounds each. My question is how many would I need to replace one 600w Mh and one 600w sodium. The appeal is the lower electrical cost to standard M/H or sodium over its 50,000 hour lifespan. Any new info would be appreciated. I will post the results of the pros and cons on the matter to finally resolve which is better overall using todayís technology. Thanks.

Unregistered Guest

Default Good discussion

I agree that a Harvard research team would use proper grammar. I also agree that leds are not quite there yet. The idea is amazing, to save power and produce less heat. The technology will get better and soon we will be growing with leds just as efficiently as we are with hps. Again, just not there yet...

Unregistered Guest

Wink

I agree that a Harvard research team would use proper grammar. I also agree that leds are not quite there yet. The idea is amazing, to save power and produce less heat. The technology will get better and soon we will be growing with leds just as efficiently as we are with hps. Again, just not there yet...
    Thanks for the advice. I think you are right about not being there yet. I canít wait until it is perfected! Whoever dose will be a very rich, the demand for this product is huge

Unregistered Guest

I'll chime in, and say there's something LED panels are missing. Well, mine aren't! I won't give you my secret but I'll be nice and give you hints.

For one, if you check solar insolation in the visible range at sea level during the summer time, you'll notice something. I'm not going to say what it is, I like to let others find out for themselves and learn during the hunt! But this something is what most LED panels lack. You can have all 300 some-odd visible/non-visible wavelengths in the panel but it won't do you a single lick of good unless you learn a little about nature, first, and take note of the relative outputs. What's different between that and most LED panels? Take a hard look, you'll see. I'll give you another hint. Walk a tightrope, KEEP THAT POLE STEADY! I know it's an obscure hint, perhaps, but it'll get your brain juices flowing!

Now, pardon me, I need to go deal with this huge tangle of growth from my LED panels before they damage my tomatoes any further. It's pretty sad when a little 50w panel can cause light bleaching from three inches away because it's pumping out that much light. The moment the panel kicks on you feel the light blasting against your skin if you're within 6 inches of the front.