View Poll Results: Air Exchange or Sealed Rooms?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fully sealed rooms are best

5 45.45%
  • Rooms with intakes from outside are best

6 54.55%

Thread: Sealed Room or Air Exchange?

Default Sealed Room or Air Exchange?

I was just wondering what the preferred method is with most growers. I've always felt that a good air exchange is integral to any type of grow room. But many of my friends are all about the sealed rooms. There are great arguments to be made on both sides, but I wonder what the majority of growers are doing...

So my question is: Do most growers prefer to intake fresh air from outside, or do they prefer to have their grow room completely sealed.
    Last edited by MikeJones; 06-14-2006 at 04:55 PM.

Talking

well, from what ive seen.

sealed room always include some EXpensive shiny hardware. ie;
    Carbon Filters...vent ducting.. ext.

while the more humble grow rooms tend to utilize their surroundings
    more to keep the temps down and grow.

as with everything ( Hydro-Soil) the best way to do it is find a happy median.
    and also, the way that works/co-insides (spelling) with your daily
    life.

if your not gonna be home at 3 to open your closet because your plants
    will die if u dont, id think you would have a sealed room that takes care
    of itself. most grow rooms are suited to fit the growers needs, not the plants.

find the median.

Sealed, or "clean" rooms have less pest chance, less chance for error, less
    chance for smells leaking out.

Open rooms are cheaper, have better humidity due to water vapor circulating your house in the air.

so, as i write this, if what your asking is, in a perfect world, what room would be better?

I say the Sealed if u have about 10 thousand dollars to drop into creating a
    symbiotic ecosystem within our ecosystem.

otherwise. the "BEST" way is the way that works best for u.

-p

Talking

well, from what ive seen.

sealed room always include some EXpensive shiny hardware. ie;
    Carbon Filters...vent ducting.. ext.

while the more humble grow rooms tend to utilize their surroundings
    more to keep the temps down and grow.

as with everything ( Hydro-Soil) the best way to do it is find a happy median.
    and also, the way that works/co-insides (spelling) with your daily
    life.

if your not gonna be home at 3 to open your closet because your plants
    will die if u dont, id think you would have a sealed room that takes care
    of itself. most grow rooms are suited to fit the growers needs, not the plants.

find the median.

Sealed, or "clean" rooms have less pest chance, less chance for error, less
    chance for smells leaking out.

Open rooms are cheaper, have better humidity due to water vapor circulating your house in the air.

so, as i write this, if what your asking is, in a perfect world, what room would be better?

I say the Sealed if u have about 10 thousand dollars to drop into creating a
    symbiotic ecosystem within our ecosystem.

otherwise. the "BEST" way is the way that works best for u.

-p

I like a sealed room.

I use co2, air cooled cool tube lighting, and a kickass inline fan. My temps are around 78 and my fan turns off for c02 injection. During this time my temps go to 82 and drop again once the fan kicks on a couple hours later flushing the room.

I spent about 2k total for my entire setup (6X6, 2 600w)

Unregistered Guest

If a room has vents, air intakes, exausts, filters, and can be flushed, is it still sealed?

I would have thought a sealed room would require it's own air conditioning to keep it cool enough?

Unregistered Guest

Default sealed air cooling

I've been reading about sealed space growing but Im a bit confused. To cool with an air conditioner (portable that exausts hot air through 5 inch ducting) I would have to exhaust heat from AC and the room would no longer be sealed. I still want to try it by using duct tape to tightly seal the exhaust duct but than it would no longer be sealed and I might loose all that expensive co2 i worked so hard for.

I've read that air coolers are the solution but wouldn't they just create humidity which will reduce co2 consumption?

Also I've noticed that open and closed costs are the same if you if you run co2 and AC in both. If you use open space with co2 you need to buy all kinds of stuff to coordinate your vent fans with your co2 source but if you have closed you can just do timed intervals without having to coordinate with other equipment. Also with closed you may need less fans, ducting, and ripping and tearing or structures.

Unregistered Guest

Good ventilation is essential for healthy plant growth - in fact it's one of the most important
    factors you need to consider when growing. Put it another way, if there's not enough ventilation in
    your grow room, your plants may die! Read on to learn more about ventilation.
    Ventilation is about controlling the quality of air, CO2, heat and humidity in the grow room. To
    achieve a high quality of air in your grow room, you need to ensure that there's a sufficient amount
    of air exchange. The amount of air exchange required will vary according to the temperature
    outside. But as a general rule, maximum winter ventilation rates rarely exceed 12-20 air changes
    per hour; however, maximum summer air exchange rates can go up to 60 air changes per hour.

To cool the room you run powerful inline vans through vented hoods. The inline fans pull the hot air from the chamber and then push it through ducting through the hoods of your HPS/MH lights and then through ducting taking the hot air out of the chamber. It is still a sealed chamber because you can build a chamber that ducts all its air to an air exchange box before pushed all the way out. The hot air being pushed out of the ducting can be put into another small space before flowing away from the chamber. Another intake fan can be used via ducting through the bottom of the chamber where there is more likely to be cool air since hot air rises. One 400w HPS should be able to be cooled by one 4 -6 inch inline fan and a sealed hood. An intake fan would be necessary for higher wattage systems or multiple lighting systems if the temps are reaching over 82. You can use your house cooling to cool the rooms where the sealed chambers are pulling in fresh air and pushing out hot air. You can put an air conditioner in a regular room to cool the room if necessary that way the box pulling in fresh cool air can be used to cool the lights so the air that is recirculating outside the box is cool.