Thread: From soil or not from soil?

Question From soil or not from soil?

I am almost ready to start building my new systems but I have a question I want to put out to everyone. Would it work to take a plant that is growing in soil and move it into a hydroponics system? More specifically, a fairly small aloe plant. I love my aloe plant, and if it were happier in a hydro system then I really want to move it over, but I would hate to damage it or make it unhappy. Anyone?

I've gone from hydro back into soil, without much problem.

i've also taken basil in a rock wool cube, into soil.

the problem you'll have is avoiding ALL root damage when transplanting. If you can get it out of soil with the roots in great shape, it should convert to hydro growth pretty easily.

Thanks! I hope it works!

clumpilitly Guest

Default From soil or not from soil

Originally Posted by common_sense_seeker
    Okay, so they buy some rocks for 50, what next? Er, grind them up, cut them with a fine powder, and distribute them around the crop circle?

This is assuming that any _miniscule_ increase in radioactivity is faked, and not due to the biological effect of a plant concentrating minerals from the soil in its roots, stem and leaves, of course,....

Sure you can transplant from soil to hydro, but you do risk carrying soil borne diseases into your system. But I've done it many times with no problems. Just gently pull the plant and rootball out of it's pot. Hold it over a trash can and gently remove as much soil as possible without ripping the roots. Then hold it under running warm water to remove as much soil as possible. Then place into the hydroponics medium. Make sure it gets some extra top watering once or twice a day til it gets established. Good luck!
    Learn hydro the easy way! Cut through all the hype and clutter at Hydroponics-Simplified.